Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Top 5 items I requested and took home but couldn't remember why I wanted to read/watch them when I got there so brought them back

"The advantage of a bad memory is that one enjoys several times the same good things for the first time."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

Do you request books like crazy just because? You know, you see the cover in the catalogue and go, 'Oohh, lookit the pretty, shiny,' and put it on hold? Do you read a review that pumps a book so brilliantly you think, 'Oohh, come to mama!' and then put it on hold? Does a friend recommend a book so well that you immediately say to yourself, 'Oohh, yeah, that sounds like me!' and then put it on hold? Sometimes it seems like I'm forever putting books on hold and then getting them home and going, 'Whoa - why did I want to read this again?' If this sounds like you, then honey, you're my kinda people ;)



Sometimes I get part way through a book and get a mad on about it and stroppily take it back to the library and, you know, fair enough. Gosh knows my reasons for returning books are as whimsical as I am - my mood changed, the cover was sucky, the heroine is irritating, I didn't get enough chocolate that day, I had too much chocolate that day, there's too much pink in her dress or the hero needs a good swift kick in the gonads - WHO KNOWS! Don't make fun of me (too much) LOL But when I've forgotten why I wanted to read/watch them in the first place - well heck, what's a girl to do then?? My list today is nothing more than sharing 5 items I requested and took home...only to find I couldn't remember why I wanted to read/watch them after all. I've brought them back to work and here they sit, accusingly, berating me, silent witnesses to the fact that my memory...well, she ain't what she used to be. And don't say I could read them anyway - I want to remember WHY I thought I would ;)

Doctor Who : the encyclopedia : a definitive guide to time and space / Gary Russell

"An alphabetical list of everything in televised Doctor Who between 2005 and now. More than 1,700 entries and over 90,000 words"--Introduction.

Tosca's note: I think a colleague placed this hold for me as a susprise. When it came in I was so excited 'cause I'm such a Doctor Who fangirl and then saw the small font and went, 'No. Way. NO WAY. Really?' And so it sits here waiting for me to get over myself and remember that fangirls truly wouldn't care about the font size - size does not matter! Unless it's an iPhone4 and then yes, size really DOES matter :)

Heartbreak & triumph : the Shawn Michaels story / Shawn Michaels with Aaron Feigenbaum

World Wrestling Entertainment fans think they know the high-flying "Heartbreak Kid." He's the company's first "Grand Slam" champion. And of course, he's forever the guy who conspired with WWE Chairman Vince McMahon to screw Bret "Hitman" Hart out of the WWE Championship in Montreal at Survivor Series in 1997. But this book introduces us to Michael Shawn Hickenbottom, whose "really conservative upbringing" made him shy and "afraid that people wouldn't like me." Here he recounts his career, his partnerships and breakups, his battles in and out of the ring. While reliving the crippling back injury that forced him to retire in his prime following his WWE Championship loss at WrestleMania XIV, Michaels credits the new loves in his life--his second wife, his children, and his newfound Christian faith--with giving him the strength to kick his habit, recover physically, and make a jubilant return to the ring.--From publisher description.

Tosca's note: I won't bore you to death with revealing how much I adore wrestling (even though it's fake, sshh) but I'm not quite sure why I wanted to read the Heartbreak Kid's book because I can't stand his wrestling persona - I'm afraid I still haven't gotten over Michaels winning Bret Hart's title and that was YEARS ago *rolls eyes* Did I want to put a Top 5 list together? Was I thinking I was over the Michaels/Hart feud? Perhaps it was a nostalgia kick...? Ack.

Love in the time of dragons / Katie MacAlister
"Tully Sullivan is just like any other suburban mom--unless you count the days every year that she zones out and turns base metals into gold. Those are weird. And now she's woken up in a strange place surrounded by strange people who keep insisting they're dragons--and that she's one too. But not just any dragon. She's Ysolde de Bouchier, a famed figure from dragon history. Tully can't shape-shift or breathe fire, and she's definitely not happy being sentenced to death for the misdeeds of a dragon mate she can't remember. All Tully knows is that she wants her son back. So she'll have to find a way to solve the crimes of a past she has no memory of living...." -- Publisher description.

Tosca's note: I've read some of MacAlister's novels, admittedly not all. Am I on a dragon-reading jag at the moment and forgot...? Maybe the cover that was promised in the catalogue (think big, buff Team Chest) but didn't look like the actual product that arrived on my desk (think blonde bombshell with shoulder tattoo) could be it...?

Feel the noise [DVD] starring Omarion Grandberry, Zulay Henao, James McCaffrey, Kellita Smith, Malik Yoba, Melonie Diaz, Victor Rasuk, Giancarlo Esposito

After a run-in with local criminals, aspiring Harlem rapper Rob flees to a place and father he never knew, and finds his salvation in Reggaeton, a spicy blend of hip-hop, reggae and Latin beats. Puerto Rico is the spiritual home of Reggaeton, and inspires Rob and his half-brother Javi to pursue their dream of becoming Reggaeton stars. Together with a dancer named C.C., they learn what it means to stay true to themselves and each other. They overcome obstacles in love, greed and pride, all culminating in an explosive performance at New York's Puerto Rican Day Parade.

Tosca's note: Did I see this written up somewhere? Did someone tell me about it? Was it a chance browsing and something about it piqued my interest? Or was it the inclusion of reggaeton music that struck a chord? ARGH I dunno. Eep.

Song of Scarabaeus / Sara Creasy
"Trained since childhood in advanced biocyph seed technology by the all-powerful Crib empire, Edie's mission is to terraform alien worlds while her masters bleed the outlawed Fringe populations dry. When renegade mercenaries kidnap Edie, she's not entirely sure it's a bad thing... until they leash her to a bodyguard, Finn - a former freedom fighter-turned-slave, beaten down but never broken. If Edie strays from Finn's side, he dies. If she doesn't cooperate, the pirates will kill them both. But Edie's abilities far surpass anything her enemies imagine. And now, with Finn as her only ally as the merciless Crib closes in, she'll have to prove it or die on the site of her only failure... a world called Scarabaeus."--Publisher description.

Tosca's note: Someone recommended this but I can't remember who. I want to remember what it was about their 'sales pitch' that caught my interest. Considering the number of bookie people I Facebook, tweet, Tumblr, email or talk to in person...I fear this could be a long wait. Uh-oh. And is it just me or is the cover reminiscent (albeit in a modern way) of the slavegirl/master fantasy covers that were so prevalent in the 70s/80s?

No comments: