Sunday, August 22, 2010

Top 5 songs from the '80s Movie Hits' compact disc

List by Tosca

"Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain."
- George McFly (as played by Crispin Glover) in the film Back to the Future (1985)

The 80s were my heyday! That's what I tell people and they look at me a tad bit disbelievingly and, fair enough, because in 1980 I was only 5, but I remember the next 10 years as if it were yesterday: banana clips, big hair, first boyfriend, off the shoulder tops, bubble skirts, disastrous hair styles (let's not even talk about the time I dyed my hair black and it turned green instead ugh), leg warmers, high heels with socks, fingerless lace gloves, fluoro coloured tights, denim miniskirts and 80s music *sigh* I love love LOVE 80s movies (with an era of the best movie quotes ever ever ever) and 80s music! They were such good days, over for alltime and leaving me with nothing but forever-young memories. So imagine my delight when I accidentally picked up a copy of '80s movie hits.' So much 80s goodness in one small package oughta be illegal - it's enough to make me want to break out my Bros albums! It was hard to narrow down my top 5 songs on this double compilation (much arguing with myself took place) but I managed it in the end. It only took me 2 hours, geez. Check it out and if you have a song you think should be here leave it as a comment ;-)



Honourable mention
* Show me heaven by Maria McKee from Days of Thunder - not a Tom Cruise fan and never have been but this song *sigh* oh, this song!
* Don't you forget about me by Simple Minds from The Breakfast Club - I like this one more for the movie it came from than anything else so while this movie makes my Top 5 80s Movies list this song doesn't quite make my soundtrack list BOO HISS
* What a feeling by Irene Cara from Flashdance - this movie is forever famous in my head for the scene where she removes her bra from under her top. How 80s-retro cool was that at the time? And certainly Irene Cara's song is just as memorable (but slightly less so)
* I heard it through the grapevine by Marvine Gaye from The Big Chill - this isn't my favourite Gaye song but this movie is, without a doubt, on my Top 5 Alltime Favourite Movies Ever list for the soundtrack alone but we don't have this in our system (see my crying face) :(

Fame by Irene Cara from Fame
Movie tagline: If they've really got what it takes, it's going to take everything they've got.
Probably this song and 'I sing the body electric' (punk covers band Me First and the Gimme Gimmes' do a great version of 'I sing the body electric') are my favs from the movie Fame. As for the film itself, I really liked all of the little stories going on and how they interconnected - which seems to be de rigeur for films these days but seemed kinda new to me back then. A handful of lives over a period of time - all of their hopes and their dreams and the eventual outcome. The theme song, at least to me (totally subjective) seemed to embody so much of the potential and drive of the characters just waiting to be tapped. And the Fame movie that was released last year? Doesn't even come close to touching the 80s version - not in characters, not in intensity and most certainly not in the soundtrack. Bummer :(

Chosen lyric: Baby look at me
And tell me what you see
You ain't seen the best of me yet
Give me time I'll make you forget the rest

Eye of the tiger by Survivor from Rocky II
Movie tagline: He was one punch away from the heavyweight championship of the world. Now he's one heartbeat away from losing the woman he loves.
So NOT a Rocky fan (in spite of dad making me watch all of the movies ugh) because I think boxing is a DUMB sport where men just bash each other (what's so sporting about that?) BUT this song is a classic - who doesn't know it? If I had to name 2 artists and 2 songs in particular that I think are iconic for the 80s and seemed to have survived the generation gap (thanks in part to Guitar Hero and Sing Star, maybe?) they'd be: Survivor's 'Eye of the tiger' and Pat Benatar's 'Hit me with your best shot.'

Chosen lyric: Risin' up back on the street
Did my time took my chances
Went the distance now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

Footloose by Kenny Loggins from Footloose
Movie tagline: One kid. One town. One chance.
I think this song went a long way towards capturing the feeling of the early 80s and it probably doesn't hurt that it's catchy and very bouncy and even now, 26 years later, I hear it and immediately see the music video in my head. All kinds of awesome. I was slightly disconcerted to have to explain this 'Footloose' Unshelved strip to Nuala and, even after having explained it, realising that she still didn't quite get it because she's so gosh darn young. I thought everybody got Footloose!

Chosen lyric:I've been working so hard
I'm punching my card
Eight hours for what?
Oh, tell me what I got
I've got this feeling
That time's just holding me down
I'll hit the ceiling or else I'll tear up this town

Do you love me? by The Contours from Dirty Dancing (1987)
Movie tagline: Have the time of your life
Not for the song so much as for the movie itself and the memories and feelings just the thought of it evokes *sigh* Patrick Swayze in those jeans and those boots? FTW! And when he delivers that line? And I know you know that line! SWOON. "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." *faints*

Chosen lyric: You broke my heart 'cause I couldn't dance
You didn't even want me around
And now I'm back to let you know
I can really shake 'em down

Think by Aretha Franklin from The Blues Brothers (1980)
Movie tagline: They'll never get caught. They're on a mission from God.
If you've never seen this movie well geez, where have you been living, under a rock? Sure, it doesn't appeal to everybody because hey, Belushi had that kinda humour (and I don't mean Jim Belushi, I mean his older brother John who died in the 80s), but the music - the music was outta this world. I laugh until I cry when I re-watch it and see Carrie Fisher tracking Belushi down and turning a flame thrower on him for jilting her because, seriously, YOU GO, GIRL! And this track right here? To. Die. For. Aretha's there with her girls struttin' her stuff and doin' her thang and essentially telling her man, 'Unh-unh, you got it good right here, honey,' and she's just fabulous. But her man is an idiot because he's gotta go where the music takes him. And that line where she belts out 'But it don't take too much IQ' and hits that high note - aww, that's much Aretha goodness.

Chosen lyric: I ain't no psychiatrist
I ain't no doctor with degrees
But it don't take too much high I.Q.
To see what you're doin' to me

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kenny's Login?! rofl...

And awww Dirty Dancing. They had that on at the movies a few months ago, it was so cool man. (and I still remember trying to perfect the lift in my friend's pool)

catatonia said...

I still chuckle over 'Kenny's login' :0) Showed it to my sisters and they were all like, 'Yeah...Tosca's, that's such an old movie.' *gasps in shock* But I LOVE it!