Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Top 5 songs on Mr. 13's iPod playlists that I can actually stand to hear

List by Tosca

"Generation Gap: A chasm, amorphously situated in time and space, that separates those who have grown up absurd from those who will, with luck, grow up absurd."
- Bernard Rosenberg, Dictionary for the Disenchanged, 1972

There is a 22 year age gap between my oldest nephew and I and, for the most part, it's not a big deal - we bond over Doctor Who, Adam Sandler's early movies, Geronimo Stilton, red licorice, Vans & Converse shoes, microwave popcorn, crazy YouTube clips, the Hardy Boys and a host of other things. That's kinda normal right? But when we start talking music, oh boy, then we hit a rough patch.



I would like to think that our thoughts resembled the scene in Close Encounters of the Third Kind where the scientists have this genius musical conversation with the aliens using a giant keyboard in something that resembles an intergalactic version of Simon Says. It's a nice touchy feely thought that music is a common language, right? But I am convinced it is quite the opposite. In an effort to find some common ground he let me listen to his iPod playlists. Thanks to his mother (one of my 8 siblings) he appreciates most music (70s, 80s & 90s) and has a good surface knowledge of the more popular hits of those decades *cue rousing cheer* But he will insist on liking modern music. I have to confess that I thought most of the tracks seemed like utter rubbish but I did find a few gems that I *really* liked - which are listed below. This coming weekend I'm going to have him listen to my playlists. Songs that either have some special meaning to me or something along the lines of Rolling Stones 500 Greatest Songs list...

Honourable mention:
* Soldier of love by Sade from the album 'Soldier of love' - ooh Sade *sigh* you can sing me bible verses and I'd like it
* Louboutins by Jennifer Lopez - well, no, I can't afford Louboutin boots and neither do I want to wear them but this song is all kinds of wonderful played LOUDLY
* Send me an email by J-shin feat. T-Pain - hey, it's my inner geek that appreciates an email-titled song

Baby / Justin Bieber feat. Ludacris from the album 'My worlds'
Chosen lyric: I'll buy you anything, I'll buy you any ring
And I'm in pieces, baby fix me

Tosca's note: Co-dependent lyrics :) There's something slightly disturbing, not to mention creepy, about hearing your 6 year old niece happily singing, 'When I was 13, I had my first love' complete with American accent. I'm not a Belieber (Bieber believer) so I do not worship at the altar of his pre-pubescent greatness - but there's no denying this catchy little song gets inside your head like a misdirected pinworm (look up which part of the anatomy they reside in - slippery little suckers) and before you know it you, too, are a sheep. Baa!

Love sex magic / Ciara feat. Justin Timberlake from the album 'Fantasy ride'
Chosen lyric: Oh, this is the part where we fall in love (sugar)
Oh, let’s slow it down so we fall in love

Tosca's note: Not a Ciara fan and most definitely not a Timberlake fan - I find it hard to conceive that some weedy little guy thinks he's got what it takes to bring 'Sexy back' but the man can sing and move (at the same time, how's that for multi-tasking? And they say men can't do it!) like nothing I've seen since Michael Jackson. And the video for this song? Whoa.

Lip gloss / Lil Mama from the compilation album 'Tha411'
Chosen lyric: They say my lip gloss is cool
My lip gloss be popping
I'm standing at my locker
And all the boys keep stopping

Tosca's note: I find myself singing this song at the strangest of times. Just randomly belt out, 'My lip gloss be popping' much to the consternation of my colleagues Danielle & Natalie. Weirdly, I don't even wear lip gloss.

Gives you hell / The All-American Rejects from the album 'When the world comes down'
Chosen lyric: Now where's that picket fence, love?
And where's that shiny car?
And did it ever get you far?

Tosca's note: LOVE this song and this video and the lyrics. In some way it reminds me of my early-20s when I would go from one alternative gig to the next. Oh my lost youth!

Put it in a love song / Alicia Keys feat. Beyonce Knowles from the album 'The element of freedom'
Chosen lyric: Say you love me, Say you love me
Then put it in a love song (Put it in a love song)
Say you need me, Say you need me
Then write it in a letter form (Oh oh oh)
Say you want me, Say you want me
Then text me on the cell phone (Text me on my cell phone)

Tosca's note: I'm not a Beyonce fan. I'm not impressed by her music or her publicity machine (she's everywhere) nor by the clothes she wears. I do, however, love her voice (even if I think she doesn't use it to sing stuff that I like) and to team her with Ms. Keys? Brilliant. Catchy, bouncy song that makes me want to shake my thang and I have all the rhythm of a dying fish (my dad is a fishermen so believe me when I say that I know how bad that looks).

I'm yours / Jason Mraz from the album 'We sing, we dance, we steal things'
Chosen lyric: I guess what I be saying is there ain't no better reason
To rid yourself of vanities and just go with the seasons
It's what we aim to do, our name is our virtue

Tosca's note: Quirky and I can harmonise with it - what more reason do I need for liking it??

No comments: