Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Top 5 new processing trolley picturebooks I think Mr. 6 should read to me!

List by Tosca

She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain.
- Louisa May Alcott

There's no doubt that books have turned my brain. I fervently hope my 6 year old nephew Kalani - or Mr. 6 as I call him - is as fond of books as I am. I also hope that they turn his brain, too. What that means I'm not quite sure but for a bookaholic like I am, it can only mean good, right? I sure hope so. I decided, just today, that for a welcome change, I would like Kalani to read to me! I think it would be a nice switch in roles to be able to go home, kick off my shoes, settle down and have him do the funny voices and the funny faces and the big expansive gestures (yes, I do those for him, too, so it's only fair he do it in return). When mum read me bedtime stories as a child, I absolutely loved it. So many worlds and so many possibilities opened up. Admittedly, some of her choices were rather unusual. Oscar Wilde's 'The happy prince' is not really conducive to a 4 year old's restful night's sleep, mother! To this day, I hear the words 'Swallow, swallow, little swallow, pluck out my other eye' and immediately start crying. Eep. Maybe I won't start him on Oscar Wilde just yet, but I think the titles below (which are my trolley-finds from visiting Cataloguing staff) make a nice starting place. Each selection has a little explanation for why I've chosen that particular book. I suspect, though, that he may need help reading some of the bigger words :)



Sleepy, oh so sleepy / Denise Fleming
Baby animals are going to sleep one by one, but the tiny human baby is the most special of all. Denise Fleming's knack for understanding the preschool set shines through in this gentle good-night story, illustrated with her signature pulp paintings. Take a colorful look at all the tired babies who are closing their eyes, and start a new bedtime ritual with your own sleepy little one.

Tosca's note: A nice simple picture book with big images and enough repetition throughout that Kalani will be able to read this without my assistance.

Guinea pigs add up / Margery Cuyler
Mr. Gilbert brings in a guinea pig as a class pet, but it looks so lonely he brings another, and before long the class is getting an unexpected lesson in addition--and a very full cage.

Tosca's note: Kalani has been making noises about having a pet but *gulps* he's an axolotyl murderer from way back so I'm quite apprehensive as to how his mum will handle that request. Older nephews, years ago, had 2 axolotyls (Stuart Little and Otto - both named for book characters) and Kalani was always fascinated by them. He'd stand at the tank and talk to them for ages, help feed them, tap on the window and have them walking/swimming around the tank to follow him. Then, one day, out of curiosity, he decided to throw the filter in *winces* And fried Stuart Little...who then became Stuart Little I when we purchased another lookalike axolotyl who was (not imaginatively) named Stuart Little II. I figure if Kalani can read about pets for a bit and sees what's involved he might not be so quick to want an animal *fingers crossed*

1 zany zoo / Lori Degman
When one fearless fox grabs the zookeeper's keys and opens all the cages, increasing numbers of animals behave in most unusual ways.

Tosca's note: Kalani is crazy for animals and zoos (I honest-to-goshness swear that the 'axolotyl incident' was a one-off) so this will be a guaranteed favourite as far as he's concerned. At least until the next animal book comes along. Eek.

This is silly! / Gary Taxali
Billy, Willy, Dilly, and Lilly take turns being silly. A very silly boy takes us on very silly adventure where we meet very silly characters who run in silly circles, fly in silly skies, and walk in the silliest parade ever! All in all, this is the silliest book you've ever seen and will be sure to leave the youngest children in silly gales of laughter as they, too, get silly.

Tosca's note: I like the pictures and, for Kalani, any book that uses the word 'silly' is a must-read. He hears the word and does the whole giggly eye-rolling thing. Little boys are easily amused.

It's the great pumpkin, Charlie Brown / Charles M. Schulz
Charlie Brown gets rocks in his trick-or-treat bag, Linus awaits a visitation from the Great Pumpkin in his terribly sincere pumpkin patch (while the adoring little Sally sits tight with him), Snoopy falls asleep, Lucy harasses Schroeder, and Pig-Pen kicks up a dust storm even beneath his costume in this classic television broadcast. Funny stuff, but also graced with Charles Schultz's more poignant and gently satiric themes from the 1960s on the influence of faith, failure, and hope in our lives. -- Tom Keogh (Amazon.com editorial review).

It's Charlie Brown! I loved Charlie Brown as a kid (my mum got me into Schulz's books) and I guess part of me hopes Kalani will, too. It is probably too wordy for a 6 year old but that's what I'm for - although he will have to do the different voices. In insist on that :)

No comments: