Monday, August 30, 2010

Papakura Library guest post: Top 5 magazines I like to borrow from the library

List by Emily

"Books can be dangerous. The best ones should be labeled "This could change your life.""
- Helen Exley

A bit of a boring title for a Top 5 list I admit, but I realised no one had done a magazine list, so thought why not be the first.

Here are my (and/or my hubby’s) favourite magazines that we can borrow (for free!!) from the library. They happen to all be New Zealand magazines - what a patriot I am - but there are also lots of international magazines available at the library as well.

Feel free to share what magazines you like.



NetGuide / NZ NetGuide
Frequency: Monthly

Emily’s note: I am very much a computer geek and rather addicted to the internet, so this is good to flick through and find out what is new and interesting in the world of computers, internet and technology.

New Zealand lifestyle block / Trader Group
Frequency: Monthly

Emily’s note: This magazine often has articles about alternative energy, which is good for hubby as he’s currently building a couple of windmills and assembling things we need to go off-grid, and has lots of other info that interests us as we are hoping to move somewhere rural soon.

New Zealand D-photo / Parkside Media
Frequency: Bimonthly

Emily’s note: My husband and I are keen photographers, and even have our own photography business, so this magazine is full of things to inform and inspire us.

Animals' voice : the official magazine of the SPCA Auckland / SPCA Auckland by Regatta Group
Frequency: Quarterly

Emily’s note: I love animals and really admire the work of the SPCA, so I enjoy this magazine heaps. FYI, our home is shared with four cats, five rats and an assortment of tropical fish.

New Zealand healthy food guide / Healthy Food Media
Frequency: Monthly

Emily’s note: This is an awesome magazine with articles to help you live a healthy lifestyle, money saving tips regarding food and groceries, and of course lots of yummy recipes (all of which have nutritional info included).

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I'm kinda lazy about actually borrowing magazines myself , but I routinely leap on and devour a couple of titles cover-to-cover when I visit a friend who borrows mags from the North Shore Library: Empire, SFX and SciFiNow. I always come away with a little scribbled list of all the movies, TV shows and books I want to track down, even though I invariably disagree with the reviews of things I've already seen/read!