Tuesday, January 31, 2012

5 ways I'll be celebrating Waitangi Day 2012

List by Tosca

For a lot of people, the Treaty of Waitangi is an uncomfortable and contentious issue that sees a lot of good people come away with rather polarised views. I'd like to assure you that it isn't always this way. I celebrate Waitangi Day every year, without fail. Not always in the same way, though. Some years I'll spend it with siblings discussing how things have changed for Maori (better/worse/indifferent) from the year before. Other years I'll spend it with thousands of others, listening to live music and just being in the moment and remembering that sometimes being Maori is such an incredibly positive experience. Sometimes I'll spend it listening to politicians talk about Maori in a somewhat less than celebratory manner, and come away heart heavy and soul tired. More often than not, though, it's a chance for me to do a quick 'cultural check-in' and use it as an opportunity to re-assess where I stand in relation to, well, everything else. (Big ask, I know). However I choose to celebrate it, I find that there is always room for personal growth, and that I am challenged in new and interesting ways every year. In keeping with our Auckland Libraries theme; Whakamana te Tiriti o Waitangi: Elevate and Celebrate the Treaty of Waitangi, I've decided that this year I would like to attend 4 Auckland Libraries' seminars and an outdoor gathering. Maybe, if you're looking for the same kind of experience, I'll see some of you there, too :)

How are YOU celebrating Waitangi Day 2012?



See our website to find out where else these seminars are being held. And, if you're looking for ways to brush up on your knowledge of NZ's history, we can help with that, too!

Exploring Pākehā identity in Aotearoa/New Zealand (a presentation and workshop)
Thursday 2 February 2012, 6pm - 7:30pm
Whare Wānanga, Level 2, Central City Library
Introduced by Carl Chenery, Presentation by Kate Terry from Client Services - Media NZ and Anca Cernic from Nielsen NZ
To book, contact Central Auckland Research Centre on 09 307 7771

Treaty and the Constitution
Tuesday 7 February 2012, 11am - 12pm
North Auckland Research Centre, Level 2, Takapuna Library
Presentation by Susan Healey
To book, contact North Shore Research Centre on 09 486 8466

Introductory session to the Treaty of Waitangi - The Treaty - What’s it all about?
Thursday 9 February 2012, 2:30pm - 3:30pm
South Auckland Research Centre Meeting Room, Level 1, Manukau Library
Presentation by Christine Herzog
To book, contact South Auckland Research Centre on 09 261 8637

Foreshore and Seabed - What’s all the controversy about?
Friday 10 February 2012, 12pm - 1pm
Whare Rūnanga, Level 2, Waitakere Central Library, Henderson
Presentation by Christine Herzog
To book, contact West Auckland Research Centre on 09 836 8000

Toi o Manukau Waitangi Day Family Celebrations 2012
Monday 6 February, 10am-6pm
Barry Curtis Park, Chapel Road, Flat Bush, Manukau
Call 09 262 8900 ext 8241 or email Nigel Borell, Kaiwhakahaere, Toi o Manukau

Tosca's comment: Where else could I see Katchafire, David Dallas, Ardijah, Maisey Rika, Sons of Zion, Bella Kalolo and Foundation in one place for free? And, as an added bonus (and for the first time ever), Long Shen Dao, China's number one reggae band, will be there, too. EPIC WIN!

1 comment:

Anahera said...

Mauriora ki a tātou!

Ngā mihi Tosca, your post succintly sums up almost exactly what I do each Waitangi Day. I spend it with music, sun, fun, family, friends, NZ culture, heritage and FOOD at Waitangi Day events and remembering that although most people see it as a day off work...the treaty is a sacred document which reminds us all of the history of this country and the changes we have witnessed over the last 172 years. Here's my 5 ways I'll be celebrating Waitangi Day 2012 -
1) Attending and providing treaty information on Waitangi Day at Barry Curtis Park, Manukau.
2) Attend and participate in 5 treaty seminars
3) Dance in the sun with my nieces to Treaty waiata
4) Write my daily diary entry in Te Reo Māori
and;
5) Celebrate my best friend's graduation at her marae

Let's all elevate and celebrate the treaty!