Monday, November 14, 2011

Top 5 Footprints Movember tributes

List by Tosca

"There was a time I could have been mistaken for Burt Reynolds. I had a moustache and so did he. But he was the number one star in the world, so there wasn't really much confusion."
- Tom Selleck

My dad has sported a moustache and/or beard on and off for most of my life. Mum has years worth of photos that can attest to this fact. In fact *points left* I have one here that was taken on his wedding day. It is my (unsolicited) opinion that 70s moustaches are something quite wonderful (and scary) to behold. And yet dad's one (to the left) was from the 90s. My parents didn't get married until I was 18. In fact, all of my brothers and sisters and I were there for the event. OH THE SHAME. Kidding. As for moustaches, the 70s (and 80s and, sigh, the 90s) have so much to answer for.

Here for your delectation (and because they are more than worth sharing) are the best of the best top 5 moustaches from our Footprints database! Our Footprints online database is a record of historical images from the South Auckland and Counties-Manukau area. There are so many fantastic images (this VJ Day pic, taken on Queen Street a day before the official VJ Day celebrations - is my favourite). The database is well worth a browse, so give it a go. And tell us what you found!



Michael Jackson fan, Manurewa, July 1981
Unidentified young man showing his dance moves, presumably in homage to Michael Jackson, Manurewa, 1981.
Creator: Unknown
Date: July 1981
Location: Manurewa
Medium: Black and white photograph , 16 x 11 cm
Manukau Research Library, Courier collection, box 13/25.

Tosca's comment: Do you remember the 80s? I was born in 1975 so I remember all of the 80s - big hair, leg warmers, music, movies, Rubik's cube and all. The parts of it that I choose not to remember are the bits that involve bop pants, cousins who would cart around a ghettobloaster on their shoulders while dragging around bits of lino to semi-spontaneously break out in dance. Literally. I remember my cousins asking my dad if they could buy me a pair of bop pants. I was this weird combination of mascot/younger sister they never wanted. I cried because dad seriously considered it. I still get a bit wound up when I think I came *this* close to wearing those awful pants but this image? Makes me remember it quite fondly (today).


Portrait of a family, Clevedon, ca 1910
Portrait of an unidentified couple with their baby in a garden, Clevedon, ca 1910. The man is wearing a tweed jacket, the woman is seated on a wicker chair with a baby in her lap.
Creator: Bryan, David
Date: ca 1910
Location: Clevedon
Medium: Glass-plate negative , 12 x 16 cm
Manukau Research Library, CLE: V, 1, C7.

Tosca's comment: Whenever I see this image it reminds me of Anne of Green Gables. In particular, Diana Berry's family.


Man in military uniform, Clevedon, ca 1913
Outdoor portrait of an unidentified man in military uniform seated on a wicker chair, Clevedon, ca 1913. His fine handlebar moustache can be clearly seen. The details of the uniform suggest that he may be an officer in the 4th (Waikato) Mounted Rifles.
Creator: Bryan, David
Date: ca 1913
Location: Clevedon
Medium: Glass-plate negative , 12 x 16 cm
Manukau Research Library, CLE: V, 1, C25


Men and moustaches, Howick, ca 1920
Old Howick identities sporting moustaches and hats, left to right: Mr E. Page, Mr R. Spiers and Mr D. Page.
Creator: White's Aviation (Whites Aviation)
Date: ca 1920
Location: Howick
Medium: Black and white photograph , 14 x 19 cm (copy print)
Howick Library photograph collection, no. 307.


Young politician, Otara, 1994
Portrait of lawyer and local body politician Len Brown, Otara, 1994. Len Brown served as a Manukau City councillor for the Otara ward between 1992 and 2004. He went on to become the fourth mayor of Manukau in 2007, and the first mayor of the unitary Auckland City in 2010.
Creator: Unknown
Date: 1994
Location: Otara
Medium: Black and white photograph , 25 x 20 cm

Tosca's comment: Do not adjust your screen for your eyes do not deceive you - it really, truly is the Mayor of Auckland. I couldn't resist. I didn't try very hard, I'll admit.

No comments: