Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Top 5 books I've read this week that are ALL about the laughs

List by Tosca

"I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose."
- Woody Allen

I don't know about anybody else but I know from firsthand experience that laughing until milk, coca cola and/or tea comes out of your nose HURTS. But I wouldn't take back the laughter that caused it. No way. I'm not a fan of Woody Allen, but the quote above? I heart it. I suspect I'm not a fan because his humour feels complicated and so far above my head that it loses me. I watch other people laugh at his wit and I feel left out and somewhat disgruntled. I am a frat-boy-movie-with-toilet-humour kind of girl. Sad, but true. And usually, by this time of year, my well of good humour (very small to begin with) has well and truly run dry. For some reason, though, the 'I hate Christmas' Scrooge mentality has hit me late. The reason for it, I believe, is that I've unintentionally been in the middle of a comedy fest of my own. After reading F in exams: the funniest test paper blunders by Richard Benson, I decided that I'd like more books in that same funny vein. A quick search in the catalogue and I'd requested some *does a quick count* 9 or 10 books that have kept me in high spirits the last week or so. And that's today's 12 posts of Christmas list! Oh, and no, you don't have to be a Woody Allen fan or a frat-boy-movie-with-toilet-humour kind of person to enjoy these books. They'll appeal to most people :)



Awkward family photos / by Mike Bender & Doug Chernack
Based on the hit website, AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com ('painful, regrettable, horrifyingly awesome snaps of family bonding, you will laugh so hard that people in adjoining offices will ask what's wrong with you' - Esquire), this book features never-before-seen photos and hilarious personal stories covering everything from uncomfortable moments with relatives, teen angst, sibling rivalry, and family vacations from hell. Cringe at the forced poses, bad hair, and matching outfits - all prompting us to look at our own families and celebrate the fact that we're not alone. Nothing says awkward better than an uncomfortable family photograph!

Tosca's comment: I feel so much better about my family photos after paging through this. Ours were terrible due to technical faults or just plain bad photography. These? Wowsers. Some sweet, some odd, and some are total WTH. And I have nothing but respect for the people who voluntarily sent in their pics. We also have Awkward Family Pet Photos, which really lives up to the title.

Passive aggressive notes : painfully polite and hilariously hostile writings, and just plain aggressive / compiled by Kerry Miller
Part voyeuristic entertainment, part group therapy, Passive Aggressive Notes offers a fascinating look at the all-too-familiar frustrations of embattled office drones, apartment dwellers, parents, and pet owners everywhere. This curated collection combines dozens of outrageous, never-before-seen notes as well as favorites from Passiveaggressivenotes.com a 2008 Webby Award Winner and the official "Best Blog" of the South by Southwest Interactive festival.

Example:
Dear Milk-thief,
that was breast milk!

Tosca's comment: Don't forget to check out PassiveAggressiveNotes.com!

When parents text : so much said--so little understood / Lauren Kaelin, Sophia Fraioli
A collection of insanely funny texts between parents and kids, "When Parents Text" is a surprisingly affecting window into the complicated time when parents aren't ready to let go, and kids aren't ready to "be "let go. The parents are well-meaning but hopeless, silly and a little corny, and befuddled by the technology.

Example:
Divorce
Dad: I'm not sure but I think I just accidentally divorced your mom on facebook... I'll keep you updated.
Me: (silence)
Mum: why is your father married to his sister on facebook?

Tosca's comment: You can visit the website, too!

Cake wrecks : when professional cakes go hilariously wrong / Jen Yates
Have your cake and laugh at it, too, with the sweet treat known as Cake Wrecks: When Professional Cakes Go Hilariously Wrong . From the creator of the ultrapopular blog CakeWrecks.com, here are the worst cakes ever, including the ugly, the silly, the downright creepy, the unintentionally sad or suggestive, and the just plain funny. With witty commentary and behind-the-scenes tidbits, Cake Wrecks will ensure that you never look at a cake the same way again. Since May 2008, Jen Yates has been blogging about such confectionery calamities at her popular Web site CakeWrecks.com, winner of the 2008 Blogger's Choice Award for Best Humor Blog, and three 2009 Weblog awards (Bloggies) for Best Writing on a Blog, Best New Blog, and Best Food Blog. Yates now offers up this inspired photo collection with over 150 Cake Wrecks, including 75 percent never-before-seen content.

Tosca's comment: Laughed so hard my ribs hurt. Seriously. I've also put in a purchase suggestion for Jen's second book Wreck the Halls: Cake Wrecks Gets Festive which we now have on order. I'm first in queue so HA! Don't forget to check out the CakeWrecks.com. I LOVE IT!

Damn you, autocorrect! : awesomely embarrassing text messages you didn't mean to send / Jillian Madison
If you own an iPhone, BlackBerry, Droid, or any smartphone, there's a good chance you've screamed that phrase out at least once. In Damn You, Autocorrect! Pop-culture blogger Jillian Madison shows you are not alone. Filled with submissions from readers of her popular website, this laugh-out-loud funny book features cringe-worthy exchanges with parents, friends, significant others, and co-workers that contain some of the most unintentionally hilarious - and mortifying - mistakes ever caused by Autocorrect. Inside, you'll find a husband who tells his wife that he just 'laid' (paid) the babysitter, a dad who tells his daughter that he and her mom are going to 'divorce' (Disney), and many more epic texting fails too raunchy to list here. Whether you love technology, texting humor, or taking just a little bit of pleasure in the misfortune of others, Damn You, Autocorrect! will leave you laughing until you cry, and thankful that nothing this embarrassing has happened to you. Yet.

Tosca's comment: Whatever you do, don't read this on the bus. I was laughing so hard I started crying, and the man sitting next to me got scared and changed seats as soon as he could. And then the next person who sat down in his spot looked rather concerned, so I had to explain why the book was so funny. She didn't get it *sigh* Don't people laugh at books any more? *plaintive tone* As someone who owns an iPhone, I know how easy it is to be caught out by autocorrect. I unintentionally called one sibling a 'doxy.' Luckily, she didn't know what that was (although she might be prompted to look it up now thanks to this post). There is a website, too. Just take note that there are curse words. Some days I think my iPhone swears better than I do out loud. Which is quite scary, really.

4 comments:

breve711 said...

I've just requested all of these:) i've been known to leave a passive aggressive note or a hundred myself, looking forward to this one the most. And i just got f in exams last week, it is too funny! Thanks for the awesome recommendations.

catatonia said...

If you find random quotation marks as funny/irritating as I sometimes do, you might want to also try The book of "unnecessary" quotation marks : a celebration of creative punctuation by Bethany Keeley

http://www.elgar.govt.nz/record=b2558548~S1

breve711 said...

Thanks! My request list is looking a bit ridiculous now haha. Not sure if you're a gervais/merchant fan (i am) i've just started reading Ricky Gervais presents The World of Karl Pilkington and i can't stop laughing out loud like a crazy person. He's randomly hilarious.

catatonia said...

Haven't read it and have just now requested it :) Thanks for the recommendation! I heart The office and Extras in all their hilarity and awful humour. Merchant/Gervais have the knack of producing rib hurting humour with a tinge of discomfort. Can't wait till it comes in. Literally - I'm running out of DVDs and books and I've still got another 2 days to go until I'm back at work :P