Thursday, December 26, 2013

Top 5 hip hop/rap albums (as selected by iTunes editors)


Photo Credit: Bourguiboeuf via Compfight cc

I'm always on the lookout for music recommendations, and as someone who came up through libraries knowing how to recommend books LIKE A BOSS, I'm really crap at the music side of it. It had always been something I wanted to work on, you know? I wanted to be so good at it that when someone came up to the counter to ask for someone else whose music was like *insert artist name here* , I'd kick butt at it. Never happened. (Probably never will now because I no longer work in a place where I can push myself to work at developing a skill like that). I like what I like and I'm mostly unapologetic about that, and it rarely occurs to me to want to do the "who else sings like...?" or "who else writes lyrics like...?" thing and go from there. Because I am such a lazy cowface, these days I rely heavily on iTunes to tell me who I should try, and this month I thought I'd try something a little different and check out the iTunes editors top 5 picks for best hip-hop/rap albums. This should be interesting. Hip-hop/rap isn't my thing and never has been, really. My siblings are all heavily into it, but for some reason it skipped me by. I'd be the first to admit that angry music is more my thing #notevenkidding. (Yes, I did just put a hashtag in a blog post). So, here's to trying new things. And hopefully, some of it might be stuff you want to check out yourself.

1. Nothing was the same [compact disc] / Drake
Tiscan leather -- Furthest thing -- Started from the bottom -- Wu-Tang forever -- Own it -- Worst behavior -- From time -- Hold on, we're going home -- Connect -- Language -- 305 to my city -- Too much -- Pound cake/Paris Morton music 2 -- Come thru -- All me -- Motion.














Photo credit: JBHifi


2. Yeezus [compact disc] / Kanye West
On sight -- Black skinhead -- I am a God -- New slaves -- Hold my liquor -- I'm in it -- Blood on the leaves -- Guilt trip -- Send it up -- Bound.













Photo credit: JBHifi

Comment: This is me making absolutely no comment about Kanye naming his baby North West.


3. Long.Live.A$AP [compact disc] / A$AP Rocky
Long live A$ap -- Goldie -- PMW (all I really needed) feat. Schoolboy Q) -- LVL -- Hell (feat. Santigold) -- Pain (feat. Overdoz) -- F**kin' problems (feat. 2 Chainz, & Kendrick Lamar) -- Wild for the night (feat. Skrillex) -- 1 train (feat. Joey Bada$$, Yelawolf, Danny Brown, Action Bronson, Big K.R.I.T.) -- Fashion Killa -- Phoenix -- Suddenly -- Jodye -- Ghetto symphony (feat. Gunplay & A$ap Ferg) -- Angels -- I come apart feat. Florence Welch.














Photo credit: JBHiFi


4. Girl Songs [compact disc] / @Peace
 Bar stool balancing act -- Days like this -- Cats like fish -- Midnight (featuring Wes) -- Cake -- Anaesthetised -- 2 die 4 -- Flowers -- Wandering -- My Dad.















Photo credit: JBHiFi


5.  Falling into place [compact disc] / David Dallas
Wire -- Transmitting Live -- Runnin' -- Gotta Know -- How Long -- My Mentality -- Local Celeb -- Southside -- Follow -- Right There -- One More -- Gate.













Photo credit: JBHifi

No comments: