Monday, April 29, 2013

5 quotes from this book that make me want to do Comic-Con ohsomuch more

“…because nerds like us are allowed to be unironically enthusiastic about stuff… Nerds are allowed to love stuff, like jump-up-and-down-in-the-chair-can’t-control-yourself love it. Hank, when people call people nerds, mostly what they’re saying is ‘you like stuff.’ Which is just not a good insult at all. Like, ‘you are too enthusiastic about the miracle of human consciousness’.”
- John Green

Title: Comic-Con. Episode IV, A fan's hope
Author: Morgan Spurlock

I have never been to San Diego's Comic-Con. This probably doesn't shock anyone who knows what Comic-Con is about. I mean, it's that hard to get tickets. Just to give you an idea of how truly hard it is, I remember reading a while back that 2012's Comic-Con tickets sold out in the time it took for a Doctor Who episode to air. That's roughly 40 minutes. (I know, right? One geeky reference smooshed right up alongside another. It's a little bit meta). That blew my mind. And made it hit home just that little bit more how next-to-impossible it's going to be for me to get there. For 2013's event, it took 96 minutes for tickets to sell out. Now, you might think I would give up. I mean, as Nerdy Girl problems go, this is right up near the top of my "Ruh Roh List." You'd be wrong. I'm going to do other cons (conventions) in other places - NZ - I'm attending the Wellington one this year, Australia, other parts of the US, hopefully even the UK - while I bide my time waiting for that perfect moment where I score a Comic-Con ticket. Or something close to it. (Like maybe I'll have to write my own little piece of pop culture heaven that everybody wants a piece of and then I'll be appearing on a panel. Which could be disastrous because I don't act, draw OR write and, even if it did happen, I'd be too busy being on panels and not able to do much else. And then how could I meet Tyler Hoechlin? (Assuming he's there next year). First world problems. I haz them). Until then, I've got books like THIS to keep me company. (And Tumblr, awesome friends, The MarySue, and a whole host of other websites and people). And, as if the book isn't enough, there's also the documentary by Spurlock (YES! Morgan Spurlock). Oh! And I can always do another Supernatural con like I did in Toronto last year. (Psst: I met Jensen Ackles. And Jared Padalecki. And Misha Collins. Jealous, much?). So, sure, I won't be there this year. But I'm not giving up, either. And while I bide my time, I'm reading this. Sshh, do not disturb...

(An aside: I've never wanted to visit London because...I dunno, I just never wanted to. However, next year I'm going. AND I'm going to do Comic-Con because OMG how could I not? Plus, it gives me a reason to really go. That and visiting 221B Baker Street, because OBVIOUSLY, right?).




"I think the expectation of fans at Comic-Con is to simply immerse themselves in the culture, to find people like them, to feel part of something."
- Max Brooks

"The common bond is geekdom. The other day I was sitting at a table and a conversation came up: what would happen if Lord Voldemort and Darth Vader fought. And that was just like incomprehensible - that could never happen. But it's good that people could have that conversation and not feel weird about it, and not have people look at them funny. It's just a really great atmosphere. You can talk about anything."
- Ross Alan Miller

"Where else are you going to get the opportunity to find five hundred thousand like-minded individuals in one place?"
- Corey Feldman

"The craziest things you see here are women dressed in very strange and revealing outfits. And you know it's from a comic book or an anime or a video game, but you can't quite place it, and all you know is that girl forgot her pants."
- Morgan Webb

"In the mind of every comic book fiend, San Diego Comic-Con is the answer to all your prayers. It's like heaven, inasmuch as they tell you that everything that you have ever lost is going to come back to you. Everything that you have ever wanted will come your way."
- Kevin Smith

4 comments:

syfygirl21 said...

Sign... Comic Con. Geek Heaven. The Nirvana that we all inspire to attend.

Oh if you're going to the UK you must try Collectormania which is held in Milton Keynes every year. They usually have a good line up of guests.

tosca said...

Oh! I haz nerdgirl fail because I've never heard of Collectormania :(

*Goes off to the wonder that is Google to find out more*

breve711 said...

there's a movie?! I knew there was one why haven't I seen this yet?

comic con is the ultimate dream. I don't know how I can make that dream happen tho :-(

tosca said...

I guess it's more of a dumentary. Although maybe that's not quite the word I want, either. It follows the journey of 5 people who're going for various reasons - one is into costumes (and the most amazing ones), another wants to propose to his fiancee, another is into graphic novels, etc. And it looks at their journey starting from why they want to go, what it means to them, and what they hope to do or achieve while there. It's great.

If you're into that kind of thing, I'd also recommend Indie Game: The Movie. We don't have it in our libraries, although I have made a purchase suggestion for it. Also try The King of Kong
http://www.elgar.govt.nz/record=b2337014~S1