Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Top 5 wedding readings

"True love stories never have endings."
 - Richard Bach

Since I relocated to Central City Library, my life is a mad whirlwind of meetings. Blogging, I'm sad to say, has been kicked to the backburner for a bit. I do miss it something awful. After all, it was a chance for me to fangirl over books, music, television, staff, libraries in general, and romance novels in particular *gets misty eyed* That's why I was about ready to hug Lucy when she said she had a post for me. YAY LUCY! (And you all know how I am about hugs - germs, feels, space invasion, ugh). Today's post is by the very lovely Lucy, a senior librarian with Collections. (What she doesn't know about books ain't worth knowing).
 - tosca

Lucy
Ah wedding season, don’t you just love it! I was asked (well mostly I offered repeatedly until I was accepted) to read at a wedding last weekend. I’m a big fan of the wedding reading, and took great pleasure in finding something original. And as a children’s librarian, the first place I always look is kids’ books. So, if you’re planning a wedding, or are planning on inviting yourself to do a reading at a wedding, here are my top five suggestions.





 Your personal penguin by Sandra Boynton
This made the final cut for the wedding this weekend; a super-cute picture book featuring a penguin and a hippo. Penguin does his best to convince hippo to allow him the very special role of "personal penguin". With great lines like, "Look at these wings so perfect to hold you..." it’s a real crowd-pleaser.

Guess how much I love you by Sam McBratney
Loved by kids and adults alike, this is an all-round beautiful picture book and is wonderful for weddings. I was given the luxury of choosing a surprise reading for a friend’s wedding a few years’s ago and was slightly horrified as I read this to the audience to catch a glimpse of the groom looking angry. Afterwards he explained he was trying not to cry. Succcess!

Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery
I asked a fellow Anne-fan and friend to read an excerpt from this fabulous book at my wedding. Some choice selections from chapter eight created a perfect reading which in typical Anne fashion was hilarious . "Marilla," she demanded presently, "do you think that I shall ever have a bosom friend in Avonlea?" I guffawed my way through the performance, probably to the bewilderment of non-Anne guests, but hey it was MY day!

Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne
Good old Winnie, so wise for a bear of very little brain. An excerpt from “Now we are six” is a lot of fun. "Wherever I am, there's always Pooh, There's always Pooh and Me. Whatever I do, he wants to do, "Where are you going today?" says Pooh. "Well, that's very odd 'cos I was too."

Oh the places you’ll go by Dr Seuss
This story was slightly hijacked by a recent bank advertisement, but if you massage the words it is still a great choice! "Congratulations! Today is your day. You’re off to Great Places! You’re off and away! You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose."

Take your pick, and have a fantastic day!





No comments: