Saturday, January 26, 2013

5 travel books that make me want to DO ALL THE THINGS and SEE ALL THE WORLD

I'm going to keep this short: I like to travel. I want to travel more. I haven't done nearly enough. As a child I knew I would take trips, but I didn't for years and years. It wasn't until I was 33 that I realised I was waiting for SOMETHING. I don't know what. But when I realised it, I fixed it, and I booked my first ever overseas trip to New Orleans and Memphis. I haven't looked back since. This year I have a couple of small trips planned to Brisbane and Sydney (and possibly Perth but I haven't fully decided). Next year is Cape Town. The year after is back to New Orleans twice because, hey, it'll be my 40th and I'm absolutely going to do Jazz Fest and Mardi Gras. After that, who knows. I mean...I can go anywhere. Right? For today's list, I rounded up unusual/quirky/funny looking travel books that I found by happy accident in the catalogue. Now these? Are my kinda trips! Happy weekend, people.

PS: The pic above is one I took of my sibling our first night in New Orleans, standing in the middle of Bourbon Street. This was my second trip back. It was roughly 12am or 1am, and we'd spent forever on planes. Got to the Banana Courtyard (if you ever stay there say HI to Miss Mary and Mister Hugh - they tell the BEST stories), dumped our bags and headed out to see the city immediately. And this shot took place. We ended our night at Cafe du Monde at about 2am eating beignets and drinking hot chocolate. I can't wait to do it again.

Cooks, clowns and cowboys : 101 skills and experiences to discover on your travels / Andrew Bain
101 Experiences, courses and lessons into classical skills and talents from around the world Tips on becoming the next molecular gastronomy genius, an intrepid archeologist, a Paris-based artist and more The ultimate reference book for making the most of your travels - and gaining new skills along the way.

Leave the lipstick, take the iguana : funny travel stories and strange packing tips / edited by Marcy Gordon
Leave the Lipstick, Take the Iguana is the ninth book in the best-selling Travelers' Tales humor series, which began with There's No Toilet Paper on the Road Less Traveled and blossomed into the now classic "underwear" women's humor series, including the top sellers Sand in My Bra and More Sand in My Bra. This laugh-out-loud collection will resonate with experienced travelers and novices alike and includes hilarious misadventures with packing, travel fashion, border crossings, language faux pas, weird encounters with exotic cuisine, and romantic overtures abroad.

Food lover's guide to the world : experience the great global cuisines
A book celebrating the cuisines and great food experiences of the world; Profiles countries and regions and features thematic lists, itineraries and maps; Features more than 20 of the greatest culinary regions and countries; Special features on everything from chilli to chocolate, wine and beer and eating etiquette.

Cult locations : destinations etched in our memory / texts by Martin Joachim and edited by Dirk Alt
This book will take you on a trip around the globe and show you different places full of surprises, myths and legends, all telling their own stories, on every continent. Special moments leave special marks on world history. Picture Neil Armstrong's first step on the moon, the fall of the Berlin wall or the election of the first African-American president of the United States. Massive scandals find recurring attention throughout the years, groundbreaking achievements in science and glorious sport successes are keptin good memory. Touching speeches or heroic gestures attained eternal fame, not to forget prominent scenes of movies as Casablanca. On 400 richly illustrated pages, Cult Moments highlights a fascinating mixture of these tragic,happy and curious moments too sublime to be forgotten.

India in my eyes / Barbara Macklowe
India, its landscape, architectural splendors, people and customs have long been subjects of fascination for photographers. The exquisite images of the photographer Barbara Macklowe thrust us into a world few have seen or think of as India. Yet we can see and feel a familiarity with the people and places in her photographs. We experience both the differences and the sameness among us all. The images in this book are a reflection of one photographer's experience of this diverse land and her attempts to peer beneath the surface to reveal its human dimension. She has an uncanny ability to connect with her subjects. The result is a very personal visual journey which reveals the warmth, beauty and humanity of the Indian people. She reveals a land of beauty, hardship and joy that breathes with life and surges with energy.

No comments: