Friday, September 28, 2012

5 sites my fangirl self follows like I need air BECAUSE REASONS

"Fan girling: Any girl extremely obsessed with any celebrity, t.v. show, movies, books, or other entertainment/media who is participating in fan activities such as message boards, fanfiction, or convention.
Has been used in the past as derogatory but has become less and less so in certain fandoms. Fan girling frequently happens with large amounts of squee."
- UrbanDictionary.com

Large amounts of squee? You say po-tay-to, I say "Define large!" Sure, sane people might argue that this post title isn't a particularly good one. I mean, really, "5 sites my fangirl self follows like I need air BECAUSE REASONS." Bizarre, right? Luckily, I have never declared myself to be sane OR good OR non-bizarre like. Therefore, I win at life. And my prize? The interwebs. ALL OF THE INTERWEBS. I make no bones about the fact that I consider myself a fangirl. I earnestly tell people I'm just a nerdy girl with a laptop and an inappropriate love of Jensen Ackles and we all laugh about it but, at the heart of everything, it's the truth. I enjoy tv shows, movies, books and all things geeky SO MUCH that I get all flail-y and GAH and ACK and lose the ability to use my words and just experience FEELS because my fandoms are that awesome. These five sites listed below are where I get to revel, celebrate and indulge my fangirlness in all its crazy. What do they do that's so great? They keep me in the fandom loop with fanfic, fanvids, fanart, cranky mcranty pants posts about sexuality and the concept of beauty and why people shouldn't tag AO3 fic like it's Tumblr run amok, and they dedicate gifsets to Jensen's mouth and Jared's dimples. Yes, we are crazy, we are plentiful, and we are on your screens. So, here's to fangirls the world over!

Honourable mention:
LiveJournal.com
From the site: "LiveJournal is an online community, a social network, and a place for self-expression. We strive to create an environment where you can connect with others, share your thoughts, and be yourself. Our core values guide us to protect and cultivate that community."

Tosca: LiveJournal is where I find some of the fanfic I read. If you know where or how to look you, or even who to follow, you can find some great stuff. Of course, you also find some truly, TRULY, terrible stuff. Beyond terrible.




Tumblr.com
From their site: "74.8 million blogs. 32.2 billion posts. 103 employees. Tumblr lets you effortlessly share anything. Post text, photos, quotes, links, music, and videos from your browser, phone, desktop, email or wherever you happen to be. You can customize everything, from colors to your theme's HTML."

Tosca: ERMAHGERD. Seriously, ermahgerd. This site, this site. I use it for laughs and giggles, for inspiration, because I enjoy times infinity the crazy hilarious things that fans do with pics of the fandoms they enjoy the most - like this random pic I found. (Because random is what I do best).

A03 - Archive of our own
From the site: "We're a fan-created, fan-run, non-profit, non-commercial archive for transformative fanworks, like fanfiction, fanart, fanvids and podfic. While the site is in beta, you can get an invitation from another user or from our automated invite queue. All fans and fanworks are welcome!"

Tosca: Fanfic. Pretty much that is ALL I use this site for. And these are the kinds of things people write fanfic about. (No, I don't read them all, yikes). Some day, when I'm past the stage where I cringe just thinking about it, I'll tell you all about my first foray into fanfic. (It was awful and, now, I pay attention to tags - today, let's just say it was the first mpreg story I ever read and it ruined Superman for me forever).

Hypable.com - For fans, by fans
From the site: "Welcome to Hypable.com: a new approach to online entertainment news. We pride ourselves on delivering the most dedicated and in-depth coverage possible across all of the fandoms we cover. Why? Because every Hypable writer only writes about fandoms they are personally a fan of."

Tosca: Entertainment news in a style I very much like, including reviews for books/films/music, funny pics, spoilers, behind the scenes look at tv shows and all kinds of THINGS and STUFF.

AfterEllen.com - The pop culture site that plays for your team
From the site: "Reviews and commentary on the representation of lesbians and bisexual women in entertainment and the media, including television, movies, books, and..."

Tosca: I can't even remember how I found this site and, if I had to guess, I'd say it was thanks to Tumblr, where I usually find everything. If you're not into spoilers then avoid this site. See, I don't care if I find out endings of books, shows, films, etc. because I promptly forget it as soon as I've read it. You guys probably aren't so "lucky." (Seriously, it's a gift and a curse). I popped by the site early this morning and, as is usual, came away with more reading recs I want to see if we have in our libraries.

AfterElton.com - The pop culture site that plays for your team
From the site: "Interviews, commentary and news relating to gay and bisexual men in the arts."

Tosca: AfterElton is the brother site to AfterEllen and, as with the above site, I use it for entertainment news (like YAY the USA has ordered more 'White Collar' and that Hawaii Five-O sucks but the fans don't care YEAH), lists like 'Top 50 Favourite Characters,' book recs, film reviews, and you can laugh at me because I don't care BUT I got to put together this online puzzle of Tyler Hoechlin in all his abtastic Teen Wolf alpha glory. I am unrepentant.
















2 comments:

syfygirl21 said...

Love, Love, Love these - you have given me some more sites to check out to fill my fangirl needs.

But what no mention of Fanfiction.net - surely you as the web goddess follows this also? I am an addict and yes I admit it freely (I have even written some fanfic - I know - sad isn't it.)

tosca said...

HAI! I don't follow Fanfiction.net as much as I do AO3 or LiveJournal. My first foray into fanfic - the mpreg Luthor/Clarke Kent story - was via Fanfiction.net...it put me off a little. Actually, it put me off a lot! I imagine I'll end up back there again soonish, though :)

Are you counting the days until Armageddon? I AM!