Wednesday, September 12, 2012

5 geeky bookish links totally worth sharing

"Also, if you're sweating the difference between a geek and a nerd, you're definitely a nerd, you dork."
- John Scalzi, the writer, HERE on Twitter (and OH how I LOL'd)

I spend the first and last part of each work day clearing RSS feeds for a variety of topics. I've arranged them all into folders with names like Libraries, Geekology, Books, New Orleans, Social Media and a few others. I skim somewhere around 1000-1500 articles/blog posts/websites a day. Probably a little more. A lot of them I use as inspiration for post ideas, some to increase my readers advisory knowledge (I can never have too much), some I share on our work tweetstream or Facebook page, ones that aren't quite appropriate for work I share on my personal streams, some that are relevant to my role I share with other librarians in the same field as I am, others I read to keep up with new technology, some stuff is political and for general awareness, others I read for geeky giggles and chuckles, and then there are things I so much want to share with SOMEBODY ANYBODY that I save them up for instances like this. Lucky you, right? *Hint: this is where you nod politely and agree with the crazy person writing this post* Last week I skipped a geekology post :( So this week you're getting two; one here today, and one over on the Auckland Libraries blog this coming Friday. Two in one week. YOU'RE WELCOME! And so I give you: 5 geeky bookish links totally worth sharing.

The Book Smugglers: Smuggling since 2007/Reviewing speculative fiction & YA since 2008
From the website: "We are two completely obsessed, sad, sick addicts when it comes to books. Faced with threats and cynicisms from our significant others and because of the massive amounts of time and money we spend at Amazon.com, we resorted to getting books delivered to our offices and then smuggling them into our homes (in huge handbags) to avoid detection. Here we found a perfect outlet for our obsession! Reviews, recommendations, and other ponderings are our specialty."

Most recent posts:

  • Book Review: Long Lankin by Lindsey Barraclough
  • Reading The Spark by Susan Jane Bigelow: In which I urge our readers to read The Extrahumans Series
  • Smart bitches, trashy books
    From the website: "This is a website that reviews romance novels from a couple of smart bitches who will always give it to you straight."

    Yes, I'm pointing you to a romance site. And not just any romance site, but one full of Team Chest/Team Back images and salty language for all. Sarah Wendell and Candy Tan are sassy and incredibly smart women who enjoy romance books. They, and their readers, call romance books terrible if they are, adorkable if they are (yes, I mean to write adorkable), and awesometastic awesomesauce if they are that, too. And OH! Their Friday links? The best. Make sure to read Beyond heaving bosoms : the smart bitches' guide to romance novels and Everything I know about love I learned from romance novels. They have attitude and the smarts to back it up. And covers that make my fangirl-cover-loving heart SQUEE like I have never SQUEE'd before. True.

    The Guardian books blog
    Firstly, it's The Guardian, and secondly, they have a book blog. I kinda feel like my saying anything else is totally redundant.

    Most recent posts:

  • Reader reviews roundup
  • Open thread: Which are the best sports books?
  • Poster poems: September
  • Non-fiction roundup - reviews
  • VlogBrothers clip: Feeling more alive - Fahrenheit 451's The Heart and the and the Salamander
    I cannot, absolutely CANNOT, tell you enough how much I lovelovelove the VlogBrothers. For those who don't know, the VlogBrothers are made up of John Green (yes, the author) and Hank Green (yes, as in Ecogeek) who are video bloggers and brothers. Hence 'VlogBrothers.' Clear? Clear. What I enjoy most about their clips is that they are unashamedly enthusiastic about all things geeky and nerdy. In fact, they encourage it. Yay Nerdfighteria! This particular clip I've chosen is John's breakdown of their Nerdfighter Book Club pick (that just so happened to be my favourite Bradbury novel) Fahrenheit 451. I heart his take on the story :) I want to quickly point out that the Nerdfighter Book Club does not fight nerds. They 'fight to increase awesomeness and decrease suck.' Truly, what better purpose could a book club have?

    More recent - although not necessarily bookish - VlogBrothers posts:

  • Can you really light a fart?
  • The five worst places to vomit
  • Why the rich pay lower taxes
  • BookRiot: Always books. Never boring.
    From the website: "Book Riot is dedicated to the idea that writing about books and reading should be just as diverse as books and readers are. So sometimes we are serious and sometimes silly. Some of our writers are pros. Many of them aren’t. We like a good list just as much as we like a good review. We think you can like both J.K. Rowling and J.M. Coetzee and that there are smart, funny, and informative things to say about both and that you shouldn’t have to choose."

    As far as I'm concerned, BookRiot totally live up to their promise of Always books. Never boring. I often find so much there in the way of funnies and commentary. And, as is the case with any book-related site I follow, my TBR (to-be-read) list rages out of control. It's a lifelong win, though, so I can't ever complain.

    Most recent posts:

  • Their 15 minutiae: Dan Wilbur
  • Riot recommendation: Thrillers with strong females
  • Your dream literary 'cover bands'
  • No comments: