Tuesday, August 28, 2012

5 books all about the awesomeness of steampunk accessories and art

"Steampunk is what happens when Goths discover brown."
― Jess Nevins

I was playing in the catalogue (I call it play, others would call it work, but if I think of it like 'play' it seems a little less like 'work' and, truly, how can it be work when I find such great stuff?) and looking for titles to add to the Romance eNewsletter (yes, that IS a shameless plug for you to read or subscribe) when I came across THIS BOOK: Steampunk softies : scientifically minded dolls from a past that never was. I'm not sure what that means, but I know I LIKE IT. I can't make them, because hello, I'm not in the least bit crafty, but I like them all the same. A number of people I follow on Twitter who are incredibly crafty (I've seen their Doctor Who amigarumi characters and WOW) would love this book. And so what, you say? So THIS, I say! They are adorable. And I don't just say that because it's steampunk. Ok, yes, I DO just say that because they're steampunk and I heart steampunk-related things times three. Seriously, I browse things like this all the time. It got me thinking, though, what steampunk crafts books do we have? And who can I con into making me some of these things? I can answer the first - you'll find them below. The second mmm not so much. I'm still working on it :) I give you: 5 books all about the awesomeness of steampunk accessories and art.

Steampunk accessories : 20 projects to help you nail the style, from goggles to mobile phone cases, gauntlets and jewellery / Nicola Tedman & Sarah Skeate
Steampunk enthusiasts love accessories, and none better than those they can craft and style themselves. The 20 projects included here are easy to make and readily customized with personal details and keepsakes - they range from the everyday and accessible to the slightly more elaborate for the committed steampunker

Steampunk : gear, gadgets, and gizmos : a maker's guide to creating modern artifacts / Thomas Willeford
Welcome to the wondrous world of Thomas Willeford, aka Lord Archibald "Feathers" Featherstone, in which he shares his closely guarded secrets of Steampunkery. Filled with do-it-yourself projects, Steampunk Gear, Gadgets, and Gizmos: A Maker's Guide to Creating Modern Artifacts shows you how to build exquisite, ingenious contraptions on a budget. Learn from Lord Featherstone as he distills his wealth of hard-learned skills, describes how to use the readily available tools of the modern mad scientist, and expounds on the art and philosophy of scavenging unique components and raw materials. The perfect companion for the hobbyist and advanced machinist alike, this inventive volume will guide you through the creation of your very own infernal devices.

Steampunk : the art of Victorian futurism / Jay Strongman
"In just over thirty years, the word 'Steampunk' has gone from being a generic name, used to describe a loosely linked group of [science fiction] novels, to describing a global movement - a movemen that now encompasses fashion, design, art, music, literature and more. During that time the label has come to mean different things to different people. For many it's a celebration of Victorian technology and aesthetics, to others it's about a past that almost was and a future that could have been. It's about a fictional place in time and space where Victorian and Edwardian elegance collide with gothic horror and modern science - a sepia-tinted world where My Fair Lady meets The Terminator."--Introduction, P.7.

The art of steampunk : extraordinary devices and ingenious contraptions from the leading artists of the steampunk movement / Art Donovan
Celebrates the vision of Steampunk artists from around the world, providing insight into the captivating and dynamic world of a vastly underground genre. This title features 17 artists who have had their work displayed in an exhibition at The Museum of History of Science at the University of Oxford.

1000 steampunk creations : neo-Victorian fashion, gear & art / Dr. Grymm and Barbe Saint John
Steampunk is a burgeoning counter-cultural movement; a genre, community, and artform. The Steampunk movement seeks to recapture the spirit of invention, adventure, and craftsmanship reminiscent of early-nineteenth century industrialization, in part, to restore a sense of wonder to a technology-jaded world.

No comments: