Friday, August 3, 2012

5 awesome links because it's Friday and I love you all! (Except you - you I don't like very much at all)

It's Friday! That is always, always, always a good enough reason to have a Top 5 post made up of awesome links. That and I'm in a silly mood. Life is good, if as bizarre as ever and, although I will forever despair of the fact that work gets in the way of my being able to read fanfiction all day/every day, I enjoy when people send me links like this in the course of my job. Warning: This post contains exclamation marks aplenty. Because REASONS. (But mostly because that's how I roll). Enough of the chit chat from me - THE LINKS, people, THE LINKS!

Juding a book by its cover: A 6-year-old guesses what classic novels are all about
This makes me want to hunt down Mr8 in the back of beyond (or close enough being that he's living in Waipapakauri with his grandparents for the year) and demand to know what he thinks Jane Eyre is about. Also: It'll make you giggle in parts.

The collected blurbs of Gary Shteyngart: A catalogue of promiscuous praise
If you've never read Shteyngart's blurbs then, really, I don't know why I know you. Truly. I despair. And someone put them in a Tumblr! Which makes me 'less than three' Tumblr even more!

Book cakes: Cakes in the shape of books (of course)
Michael Scott's Pinterest board because, HELLO, how can you walk past 1) cakes and 2) cakes in the shape of books? Only answer: You can't!

TARDIS shed and Dalek
BECAUSE HELLO! Doctor Who is my idol and he should be yours, too!

This is now
From the site: "This is Now project is a visual composition which uses real-time updates from the ever popular Instagram application based on users geo-tag locations. The tool streams photos instantly as soon as they are uploaded on Instagram and captures a cities movement, in a fluid story."

So, basically, you can spy on Instragram, but not, heh. They offer you 5 cities - New York, Sao Paulo, London, Tokyo, Sydney - where you can view whatever is being uploaded to Instagram right at that moment. At this time of day I found New York to have a busier stream, and what a mix of photos and moments. May not pay to view this at work, because, hey, you can't predict what people publicly share in the way of images. (Yes, faceless lady bound in rope lying on a bed, I'm looking at YOU).

No comments: