Wednesday, June 13, 2012

5 items I watched/listened to because that's what being a fangirl makes me do, ie. stupid things :/

Fangirl: A rabid breed of human female who is obesessed with either a fictional character or an actor. Similar to the breed of fanboy. Fangirls congregate at anime conventions and livejournal. Have been known to glomp, grope, and tackle when encountering said obesessions."
- UrbanDictionary.com

Let the record reflect that I am not obsessed, I don't glomp, grope or tackle. I do, however, hang out on LiveJournal and I attend Armageddon (which is a Con). By Urban Dictionary's definition I'm not much of a fangirl. My kind of fangirlness is a little less cray cray. No less silly, however, I'll own up to that now. When I like, I like *intensely* To the point where I request/watch everything we have that features whatever current film/tv show/actor I'm 'in like' with. More recently: Supernatural, Sherlock (the BBC modern adaptation), Teen wolf (yes, the teeny bopper one, and don't judge me for it), Inception (tell me that didn't do your head in and that you don't need fanfic to sort out the threads and put them right) and, more recently, Chuck and Gossip girl (yes, the show I said I'd never watch), both of which I'm about to start BECAUSE OF REASONS that's why.

THAT MAN *points up* attached to THIS POST *stamps foot* is Ed Westwick. Dark, brooding, ridiculously good looking, cheekbones so sharp they can cut glass. I've never met him. I very probably never will. Lately, though, I find myself thinking I should watch Gossip girl JUST BECAUSE he's in it. Not for the looks (although those certainly don't hurt). More because I like the character that he plays. Chuck Bass is filthy rich, pompous, hedonistic, ambitious, clever, somewhat rude, quick with a response, rocks a business suit like nobody's business and schemes with the best (the worst?) of them. I watched an episode in passing the other day (sibling IS a fan) and Westwick/Bass delivered a line that had me going, "What? WHAT? GIMME!" *makes grabby hands* And I did that thing I do where I get all SQUEE and indulge my weird behaviour by working my way through his movies and audiobooks (he's British, who WOULDN'T want to hear that voice?) (Ok, so that's not a rational reason, but I never ever said I was rational now, did I?). Now I've run out of everything of his we have in our libraries... except Gossip girl itself. So, this week I bite the bullet and give it a go. The Ed Westwick thing, though, isn't the worst of my fangirlness. Oh no, it gets better/worse. As you'll see from this post: 5 items I watched/listened to because that's what being a fangirl makes me do, ie. stupid things for awesomely irrational reasons :/

What crazy, mad, wonderful things does your fangirlness/fanboyness make you do?

Artists in crime [compact disc] / Ngaio Marsh
Read by Benedict Cumberbatch. It started as a student exercise, the knife under the drape, the model's pose chalked in place. But before Agatha Troy-artist and instructor-returns to the class, the pose has been re-enacted in earnest: the model is dead, fixed for ever in one of the most dramatic poses Troy has ever seen. It's a difficult case for Chief Detective Inspector Alleyn. How can he believe that the woman he loves is a murderess? 3 compact discs (ca. 3 hrs.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in. Abridged.

Tosca's comment: I'll cop to it! I adore Cumberbatch. He features on my Tumblr dashboard OHSOMUCH. Usually as an OTP (one true pairing) with Watson because, hey, it's an interesting world we live in and some fanfic readers/writers ship JohnLock. And yes, I requested this JUST to hear Benedict's voice.

The Old Testament [compact disc] : selections from the Bible (the authorized version)
Read by: Philip Madoc, Anton Lesser, Josette Simon, and Michael Sheen. This title encompasses the most familiar passages covering the main characters of the Old Testament, from Adam and Eve to King Solomon, including the Psalms and Proverbs. An extended essay looks at links with Western art, literature and music. The music includes Tallis's "Lamentations." 6 sound discs (7 hr., 45 min.).

Have you heard Sheen's voice? I mean REALLY heard his voice? I watched this YouTube clip once where he read a piece of fanfic aloud, and he just has the most beautiful speaking voice, so, yes, don't judge me for taking out an audiobook version of the Bible to hear it. Also, I dare you to listen to that and not almost pee your pants laughing. Seriously.

Maurice [DVD videorecording] / directed by James Ivory
Starring: James Wilby, Hugh Grant, Rupert Graves, Denholm Elliott, Simon Callow. Based on the novel by E.M. Forster. 2 DVDs (140 min.) A story of coming to terms with one's sexuality and identity in the face of disapproval and misunderstanding. Maurice Hall and Clive Durham find themselves falling in love at Cambridge. In a time when homosexuality is punishable by imprisonment, the two must keep their feelings for one another a complete secret. Rating: PG - Parental guidance recommended for younger viewers.

Rupert Graves! Graves plays Lestrade in the BBC Cumberbatch version of Sherlock, and in Maurice he plays the most intense love interest a guy could ever have. Truly. And I think he was fabulous in the role. OH! There was a nude scene, and so I'll never be able to look at Lestrade without giggling. (Yes, things like this DO run through my brain all the time, and yes, I am forever five years old).

New York minute [DVD videorecording] / directed by Dennie Gordon
Starring: Mary-Kate Olsen, Ashley Olsen, Andy Richter, Jared Padalecki, Riley Smith, Andrea Martin, Eugene Levy One day in New York City, as Jane Ryan (Ashley Olsen) tries out for an overseas college program and her sister Roxy (Mary-Kate Olsen) schemes to meet her favorite punk rockers, a series of mishaps throws their day into chaos. In order for them both to accomplish their goals, the normally adversarial sisters decide to unite against the forces around them. Rating: PG - Parental guidance recommended for younger viewers. Note: Contains low level violence. Image credit: IMDB.com

Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen *stricken look* I watched this for Jared Padalecki so it's TOTALLY NOT MY FAULT that he did a film as the love interest of one of the Olsen Twins. It's all his. Absolutely all his. Not. My. Fault *screws up face* I watched it anyway and, to my everlasting shame, kinda liked it. Go ahead. You can laugh at me now.

Dawson's Creek. The complete sixth season [DVD videorecording]
Starring: James Van Der Beek, Katie Holmes, Michelle Williams, Joshua Jackson, Kerr Smith. 6 videodiscs. Dawson's Creek chronicled a close group of friends' passage from adolescence to adulthood in a small coastal town and a rapidly changing world. Over the years we've watched them grow, change, love, live and learn. But the journey of cast members James van der Beek, Katie Holmes, Michelle Williams, Joshua Jackson, Kerr Smith, Busy Philipps and their characters comes to an end in this sixth and final season but not before a year of broken hearts and interrupted dreams cause friction for all. Rating: PG: parental guidance recommended for younger viewers. Contains sexual references.

If my BFFs ever read this post they're going to laugh themselves sick. I hated Dawson's Creek Hated it with a passion beyond all others. I saw it as mushy, sentimental rubbish that filled teens heads with unrealistic ideas of 'soul mates' and 'happily forever afters.' What changed? Well, nothing. I still see it that way. (That's because I'm a cynic. Yes, a romance novel reading cynic - read it and weep). One who is, apparently, prepared to watch it because Jensen Ackles is in it. Yes, my shame knows no bounds.

3 comments:

breve711 said...

I have Monte Carlo (the movie) on hold at the library waiting for me. It's a teen girl movie (I haven't been a teen for a long time now) starring Selena Gomez, but Katie Cassidy aka the original and best Ruby co-stars lol

tosca said...

Mr8 is a big Bieber/Gomez fan so he and I watched that together. In fact, we make a point of watching all of those Disney/pop boy/pop girl kind of movies. Usually, over and over. I'd like to say free of shame on my part but that'd be a teeny, tiny lie :P

syfygirl21 said...

Oh God I'm almost ashamed at some of things that I have been 'fan girl' over. Duran Duran covered my bedroom wall as a teenager - and yes they wore more makeup than me but god I thought they were great.

Things haven't changed since then - I think I must be permanently stuck as a 15 year old girl :)

Now days its Supernatural - Jensen Ackles... sigh - another reason why I watched Smallville and Dark Angel (how sad is that)

Vampire Diaries - Ian Somerhalder, need I say any more and I follow him on twitter too (even more sad...)