Saturday, April 28, 2012

5 random parts of a customer conversation that are eminently requestable

Conversation w/customer went from Dr Who to awesomeness of @neilhimself to graphic novels to Supernatural to conventions & back to to Dr Who 3 days ago via HootSuite ·  Reply ·  Retweet ·  Favorite · powered by @socialditto



The other day I worked at Tupu Library on Dawson Road. Long story made simple: they were a little short staffed for the day and desperate, so they asked me to work. (Yes, I am your last call when you are desperate). And I had such fun! I haven't worked a front counter like that since before we became Auckland Libraries, and I hadn't realised how much I had truly missed it. I was fortunate enough to meet a very lovely customer, Rebecca, while I was at Tupu Library whose love of reading and all things geeky made for the best conversation that day. Rebecca was returning a Doctor Who book (which makes up a part of today's list) and, me being the horridly nosey person I am, asked her for her opinion of it which, in turn, led to this post: 5 random parts of a customer conversation that are eminently requestable. All beginning and ending with Doctor Who, I might add. Because everything leads back to Doctor Who.



P.S. I would love to have added some part of the conversation about graphic novels in here but we didn't talk specifics. Unlike, obviously, everything else below :)


Doctor Who : 100 scariest monsters / BBC Children's
It's a big universe and there are some truly terrifying monsters out there! Here are the 100 scariest monsters the Doctor has ever encountered so far, from the devious Daleks to the weird Weeping Angels and the sinister Cybermen. With facts and stats on all the most fearsome scary monsters, this book will have you cowering behind the sofa! TV tie-in.

Tosca's comment: This book kickstarted our discussion that is this post. Rebecca happened to be returning this book while I was on the front counter and so began the most interesting conversation I would have all day. Eclipsing even my fangirling session (masquerading as lunch) with Bee about my attending a Supernatural con later this year. (I KNOW, right? Who woulda thunk it?). Also! Mr8 would ADORE this book. Next time he's down for the holidays I'll buy him a copy of his own.

Coraline / Neil Gaiman ; with illustrations by Dave McKean
Looking for excitement, Coraline ventures through a mysterious door into a world that is similar, yet disturbingly different from her own. Behind the locked door, she finds a corridor that takes her into a house very similar to her own, but with counterfeit parents and a terrible quest on which her survival, and more, depends. where she must challenge a gruesome entity in order to save herself, her parents, and the souls of three others. Ages 9+ Hugo Award 2003.

Tosca's comment: The Doctor's Wife! Talk of Doctor Who led, naturally enough (?), to The Doctor's Wife episode written by the awesomeness that is Neil Gaiman and, from there, to Coraline. Which is, incidentally, one of the creepiest kids books I've ever read/kids movie I've ever seen. Mr8 and I watched it from beneath a blanket, and still do for each and every re-watch. When I mentioned (ok, I was bragging) that I'd been lucky enough to hear Monsieur Gaiman talk in Wellington back in '09 it was a close call who was more SQUEE about it, Rebecca or me.

Comic-Con. Episode IV, A fan's hope: An all-access look at the world's largest pop culture event / Morgan Spurlock; featuring photography by Alba Tull
One of the entertainment industry's most exhilarating, eccentric, and influential events of the year, San Diego Comic-Con International celebrates the weird, wacky, and wonderful world of TV, movies, graphic novels, and…let's not forget, comics. Oscar-nominated director—and fanboy himself—Morgan Spurlock captures the magic and madness of Comic-Con in a new documentary. This companion book is a photographic celebration of the convention's heart and soul: the fans who attend in costume, in droves, with their kids, with their parents…and with love, awe, and admiration in their hearts. Hundreds of stunning photos capture the whimsy and wonder, and are accompanied by interviews with the many celebrities who attend, as much to promote their projects as to be part of the fandom: Kevin Smith, Seth Green, Todd McFarlane, Bill Plympton, Guillermo del Toro, Ellen Page, Bryan Singer, Eli Roth, Kenneth Branagh, Seth Rogen, Matt Groening, Ron Perlman, Nathan Fillion, Olivia Wilde, Gerard Way, Frank Miller, Tara McPherson and many more.

Tosca's comment: Discussing Neil Gaiman and Doctor Who led, of course, to Armageddon and, as it does, the conversation turned to our most fervent geek girl wish of being able to attend a Comic-Con (the mothership of all conventions), and A Salute to Supernatural con, which leads me to my next entry...

Supernatural. The complete first season [DVD videorecording] / Created by Eric Kripke ; executive producers McG Eric Kripke, Robert Singer
Starring Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki and Jeffrey Dean Morgan. Sam Winchester grew up hunting creepy, demented, unexplainable, unearthly and terrifying things. But law school, safety and normalcy beckon him until Sam's estranged brother appears with troubling news: their father, a man who's been hunting evil for 22 years, has disappeared. So now, to find him, the brothers must hunt what their father hunts and Sam must return to the life he thought he'd left behind. R16 - Restricted to persons 16 years and over. Note: Contains horror scenes. Contains violence. (Image from Amazon.com).

Tosca's comment: There isn't space enough in the world for me to wax lyrical about my love of all things Supernatural. So I'll spare you. For today. I will, though, point out that I now have a Dean badge. Yes, I know. I'm a dork.


Doctor Who. The end of time. Parts one & two [DVD videorecording] / written by Russell T. Davies; directed by Euros Lyn.
This action-packed two part finale is the blockbuster final story of the tenth Doctor, David Tennant, written by Russell T Davies, the mastermind behind the rebirth of the modern Doctor Who. The story will culminate in the dramatic regeneration of the Doctor, giving fans their first glimpse of the eleventh Doctor, played by Matt Smith.

Tosca's comment: Because everything comes back to Doctor Who. And if we got a little teary eyed talking about the Doctor burning up a sun to say goodbye to Rose, well, it's to be expected.

So...everything leads back to Doctor Who :P 3 days ago via HootSuite ·  Reply ·  Retweet ·  Favorite · powered by @socialditto

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Well, which is your scariest Doctor Who monster then??
For me: Weeping Angels. Closely followed by The Silence. The Daleks just look too cool to be that scary.

tosca said...

As a child, hands down it was the Daleks. Nowadays, though, they're so 2.0 with all of their flash colours. It's a little bit hard to be scared of them still. Though that awful voice they have still gives me pause. As an adult, Weeping Angels, followed just as closely by The waters of Mars creatures with the cracked mouths who gush endless amounts of water. If I remember rightly, it won Davies and Ford a Hugo Award back in 2010. I still freak out about that episode :/

Madhamster said...

Dear Librarians... (of which I am one)...
Vashta nerada anyone?
Who turned out the lights? indeed.

Aimee said...

Aaahhh the Vashta Nerada are definitely high on my list - I almost mentioned them too ;)