Tuesday, March 20, 2012

5 CD compilations to get me through this week

"No good opera plot can be sensible:... people do not sing when they are feeling sensible."
- W.H. Auden, Time, 29 December 1961

I suspect that this week is going to be one of those weeks where the ability to sing opera would come in handy. It is not going to be a sensible week. You don't know how you know that's going to be the case, you just know it is. Because sometimes you have insight like that. And if I'm armed with the right kinda music, even the craziest calendar lineup of meetings and eNewsletter edits can seem a little less daunting. And this selection of CDs right here? Just beg to be played loud. With headphones, of course :)

Query: What music do you prefer to listen to when working?

Music for the man cave
Songs to create the perfect man cave ambience for your Dad and his mates! Featuring hits from Deep Purple, Faith No More, Crowded House, Alice Cooper, The Clash, Motorhead and more! (Image and blurb from Marbecks.co.nz)

Khe Sanh (Cold Chisel) -- Smoke on the water (Deep Purple) -- Rebel yell (Billy Idol) -- Should I stay or should I go (The Clash) -- Ever fallen in love (with someone you shouldn't've) (Buzzcocks) -- Ace of spades (Motorhead) -- Tomorrow (Silverchair) -- Poison (Alice Cooper) -- Epic (Faith no more) -- Bohemian like you (The Dandy Warhols) -- Every you every me (Placebo) -- Sun hits the sky (Supergrass) -- Personal Jesus (Depeche Mode) -- Public Image (Public Image Ltd) -- Nil by mouth (Blindspott) -- Rollin' (Limp Bizkit) -- Out of my head (The 04) -- Calling on (Weta) -- Rev it up (Jerry Harrison) -- I walk away (Crowded House)

They sold a million
This double disc set features a selection of tracks from some of the greatest million-selling artists of our time -- including songs by Abba, Queen, Boney M, Blondie, Duran Duran and many more. (Image and blurb from Marbecks.co.nz)

CD1: Crazy little thing called love (Queen) -- Philadelphia freedom (Elton John) -- Fernando (Abba) -- Come on Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners) -- Wired for sound (Cliff Richard) -- Morning train (9 to 5) (Sheena Easton) -- The other guy (Little River Band) -- Call me (Blondie) -- Don't you want me (The Human League) -- I'm coming out (Diana Ross) -- Walking on sunshine (Katrina and the Waves) -- Road to nowhere (Talking Heads) -- Ebony and Ivory (Paul McCartney with Stevie Wonder) -- Bette Davis eyes (Kim Cairnes) -- That's the way I like it (KC & The Sunshine Band) -- I am woman (Helen Reddy) -- The guitar man (Bread) -- Good vibration (The Beach Boys). CD2: I'll do anything for love (but I wont do that) (Meat Loaf) -- The best (Tina Turner) -- Thorn in my side (Eurythmics) -- Rebel yell (Billy Idol) -- Footloose (Kenny Loggins) -- Girls on film (Duran Duran) -- China girl (David Bowie) -- If I could turn back time (Cher) -- I'm on my way (The Proclaimers) -- The power of love (Huey Lewis and the News) -- She bop (Cyndi Lauper) -- Red red wine (UB40) -- Abracadabra (Steve Miller Band) -- Hit me with your rhythm stick (Ian Drury and the Blockheads) -- I will survive (Goria Gaynor) -- Stumblin' in (Suzi Quatro & Chris Norman) -- Rasputin (Boney M) -- Metal guru (T-Rex)

Running songs
The ultimate running or exercise playlist -- featuring Queen, Coldplay, Evermore and many other artists, performing songs such as Sweat, Keep on Running, Body and Soul, Footloose and more. (Image and blurb from Marbecks.co.nz)

CD1. Don't stop me now (Queen) -- Clocks (Coldplay) -- Running (Evermore) -- Ready to go (Republica) -- Footloose (Kenny Loggins) -- Body and soul (Jenny Morris) -- Show no mercy (Mark Williams) -- Pleasure and pain (Divinyls) -- Tub thumping (Chumbawamba) -- Movin' on up (M People) -- Relax (Frankie Goes to Hollywood) -- Here comes the hot stepper (Ini Kamose) -- Sweat (a la la la la long) (Inner Circle) -- What's up? (4 Non Blondes) -- Baby makes her blue jeans talk (Dr Hook) -- Wired for sound (Cliff Richard) -- Road to nowhere (Talking Heads) -- I'm on my way (Proclaimers) -- CD 2. Eye of the tiger (Survivor) -- Legs (ZZ Top) -- You spin me round (like a record) (Dead or Alive) -- One way or another (Blondie) -- Take on me (A-Ha) -- All fired up (Pat Benatar) -- Life is a highway (Tom Cochrane) -- Shock to the system (Billy Idol) -- Out of mind, out of sight (Models) -- Get ready for this (Unlimited) -- The look (Roxette) -- Pump up the jam (Technotronic) -- Gonna make you sweat (C & C Music Factory) -- Alive and kicking (Simple Minds) -- Back on the chain gang (Pretenders) -- Right on track (Breakfast Club) -- Breakout (Swing Out Sister) -- Keep on running (Spencer Davis Group).


DIY songs
It's time to get your Dad inspired to finish all those house repairs and renovations around your home! This specially priced 2CD set features 36 tracks to get him humming as he hammers, plasters, paints and fixes his weekends away. Tracks include Back on the Chain Gang by The Pretenders, Down Under by Men at Work, Nothin' But a Good Tim" by Poison, Gonna Make You Sweat by C & C Music Factory and many more. (Image and blurb from Marbecks.co.nz)

CD 1. Don't stop me now (Queen) -- Take the money and run (Steve Miller Band) -- You ain't seen nothing yet (Bachman-Turner Overdrive) -- Let's stick together (Bryan Ferry) -- Whatever you want (Status Quo) -- Bad case of loving you (Doctor doctor) (Robert Palmer) -- Freeze frame (J Geils Band) -- Back on the chain gang (Pretenders) -- I want a new drug (Huey Lewis & the News) -- Call me (Blondie) -- Working for the weekend (Loverboy) -- Hot in the city (Billy Idol) -- Hit me with your best shot (Pat Benatar) -- Is there something I should know (Duran Duran) -- Down under (Men at Work) -- Food for thought (UB40) -- 2-4-6-8 motorway (Tom Robinson Band) -- Safety dance (Men Without Hats) -- Talk talk (Talk Talk) -- Mad world (Tears for Fears) -- CD 2. Nothin' but a good time (Poison) -- Out of mind, out of sight (Models) -- Alive and kicking (Simple Minds) -- The king of wishful thinking (Go West) -- Lean on me (Club Nouveau) -- Life is a highway (Tom Cochrane) -- Roam (B-52's) -- Get a haircut (George Thorogood & the Destroyers) -- Gonna make you sweat (C & C Music Factory) -- Unbelievable (EMF) -- Pleasure and pain (Divinyls) -- Nothing's gonna stop us now (Starship) -- Absolute beginners (David Bowie) -- She works hard for the money (Donna Summer) -- When the going gets tough, the tough get going (Billy Ocean) -- Rock and roll dreams come through (Meat Loaf)


Don’t worry be happy
As the song says, Don't Worry Be Happy -- here are 36 feel-good tracks to lift your spirits and take your mind off your woes. 'Don't Worry Be Happy includes recent songs from David Guetta, Lily Allen, Katy Perry, P!nk, Corinne Bailey Rae, Sister Sledge, as well as hits from other decades, by artists such as Poison, Talking Heads, ZZ Top and more. (Image and blurb from Marbecks.co.nz)

CD 1. You're my best friend (Queen) -- Put your records on (Corinne Bailey Rae) -- Whole again (Atomic Kitten) -- Live it up (Mental As Anything) -- Suddenly I see (KT Tunstall) -- I am only shooting love (Time Bandits) -- Superstar (Jamelia) -- We are family (Sister Sledge) -- Smile (Lily Allen) -- Make me smile (come up and see me) (Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel) -- Joyride (Roxette) -- Heart and soul (T'Pau) -- Sweet dreams (are made of this) (Eurythmics) -- Dancing in the street (David Bowie & Mick Jagger) -- Heaven is a place on Earth (Belinda Carlisle) -- Love changes (everything) (Climie Fisher) -- The joker (Steve Miller Band) -- Don't worry be happy (Bobby McFerren) -- CD 2. Get the party started (Pink) -- Dancing with myself (Billy Idol with Generation X) -- I kissed a girl (Katy Perry) -- Gimme all your lovin' (ZZ Top) -- When love takes over (David Guetta, feat. Kelly Rowland) -- Unskinny bop (Poison) -- Simply irresistible (Robert Palmer) -- Wild wild life (Talking Heads) -- The politics of dancing (Re-Flex) -- Let's groove (CDB) -- I'm so excited (Pointer Sisters) -- Born to be alive (Patrick Hernandez) -- Good times (Chic) -- Golden years (David Bowie) -- Strut (Sheena Easton) -- Don't you (forget about me) (Simple Minds) -- Your love (has lifted me higher) (Rita Coolidge) -- Higher ground (UB40)

No comments: