Wednesday, February 8, 2012

5 things I did not know you could make out of books

List by Tosca

"It has been said that art is a tryst, for in the joy of it maker and beholder meet."
- Kojiro Tomita

Art is a tryst. One that seems to have taken place over and over again without me, I fear. I'm not particularly good at crafts. In fact, I'm terrible at it. I'm one of those kinds of people who has more enthusiasm than skill. Like...way more. That doesn't stop me from trying, though. I just figure that after a lifetime of glitter in uncomfortable places, hair glued together by accident (more than once), fingers jabbed by needles, a scarf with both dropped stitches and made up stitches, misshapen pickle people (don't ask!), accidentally swallowed beads and a whole host of other craft mishaps...I figure it's time to take it as a sign, and leave it to those who can do it, and do it exceptionally well. Case in point, The repurposed library: 33 craft projects that give old books new life by Lisa Occhipanti. If any book had the power to make me wish most devoutly that I was some weird kind of mashup of Martha Stewart and, darn it, someone else really famous whose name makes you go OOOHHH! that I can't think of because, hey, so *not* a crafter, it'd be this one. Occhipanti collects outdated books from library book sales and flea markets and gives them a new purpose. Some oh-so-very surprising and quite delightful. For this post I got to do little more than flip pages, admire the pretty and wishwishwish I could operate a band saw. Or a bottle of glue. Or even a ruler. Or, you know, a pencil. So, here are 5 things I did not know you could make out of books :)



Book ledge, page 43
"This simple, stacked book ledge brings a whimsical aesthetic to any room and is a sweet spot to display a beloved knickknack. The project works best using five books in graduated sizes, all of which share a theme. I chose the books shown here for their color - I couldn't resist grouping a series of greens. This is a very easy project, through you will need to use a band saw to cut one of the books down to size. If you're not familiar with power tools, have a friend with band saw know-how help you with this step!"

Music book, page 103
"This musical book, designed by Jen Khoshbin, is fitted with the tune of your choice. Aside from the crank-arm protruding from the spine, the book appears untouched, so it's important to choose one with a stunning cover (or, better yet, one that matches the tun). Because the book I used here is French and "rose" is in the title, I chose "La Vie en Rose" for my melody."

Tosca's comment: A music book music box! DO WANT!

Sewing box, page 22
"This clever storage box is an ideal way for sewers to stash away all their little tools. Special compartments keep needles, spools, bobbins, seam rippers, and measuring tapes organized, and a built-in pincushion adds a plush touch. A book on the subject of sewing is ideal for this project, but any book will do. This box can be used to stash other crafting and stationery tools, as well - think about the tools you use regularly and customize the compartments to suit your needs."

Tosca's comment: Yeah, it totally doesn't make sense why I'd want a sewing box when I don't really enjoy sewing. But I do!

Literary lampshade by Charlotte Lyons, page 111
"Charlotte Lyons is a designer, writer, and lifelong crafter. One day, she wrote a post on her blog, Wren Studio, about a lampshade she had constructed from old family letters. I couldn't help but think this would be a perfect way to utilize book pages - especially ones left over from projects that only repurpose a book cover. Charlotte graciously agreed to adapt her project for this book. As a decorative element, she also suggests stitching patterns and designs on the shade with a sewing machine."

Biographical bracelet, page 35
"This bracelet uses basic materials to create a very un-basic piece of jewelry. It makes a thoughtful gift for a loved one, since you can personalize the bracelet by cutting out adjectives or phrases from loose book pages that describe the person who will wear it. I like to use really distinctive words or phrases as I think they make the most interesting bracelet."

Tosca's comment: As bracelets go, these are way classier than anything I actually wear myself. I'm crazy about plastic and big, tacky, gaudy beads. So imagine my surprise to find I like something like this. Now I need to con somebody into making me one...

1 comment:

Chris G said...

Great post!

They're not as practical, but reading this reminded me of these book sculptures.