Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Top 5 best graphic novels of the decade, 2000-2009 (according to Sean Edgar and Gib Bickel)

List by Sean Edgar and Gib Bickel of PasteMagazine,.com

We've been celebrating Comic Book Month throughout September and I've heard such great things about the events and challenges that have taken place. I held my own mini-celebration and read what amounted to a graphic novel a day in an effort to find authors and styles I could get a feeling for (there'll be a post about that in a couple of days or so). Sounds a bit woo woo but, relatively speaking, I'm still a newbie to graphic novels. Or maybe I mean a born again, I'm not sure. Years ago I read comics my parents would buy me as a kid and then, somewhere up until about five years ago, there's a big blank because I fell out of touch with them. When I moved to Manurewa Library and took over the young adult bookclub, twin brothers Israel and Isaac tried to teach me how to read a manga book. I still haven't quite gotten the knack of it yet but I do keep it up. (I'd like to point out that they didn't introduce me to yaoi. I managed to do that, with somewhat mixed feelings about it, on my own). As a result of their love of graphic novels I'm constantly on the lookout for recommendations. Until I know what I might/might not like I'm more than happy to try any and all suggestions, which is where this list by Edgar/Bickel comes in. So *rubs hands in anticipation* I've requested all of their top 5 and can't wait to read them! Enough about me, let's get on with the top 5 best graphic novels of the decade, 2000-2009, according to Sean Edgar and Gib Bickel of Paste Magazine :)

Honourable mention:
  • Ghost world / Daniel Clowes
  • All-star Superman. [Vol. 1] / Grant Morrison
  • Jimmy Corrigan : the smartest kid on earth / Chris Ware
  • Scott Pilgrim. Vol. 1, Scott Pilgrim's precious little lie / Bryan Lee O'Malley
  • Fables : the deluxe edition. Book one / Bill Willingham, writer ; Lan Medina ... [et al.] - In case you didn't know, Bill Willingham will be in New Zealand for Armageddon Expo 2011. FTW!




  • Flight. Volume 1 / [editor/art director, Kazu Kibuishi]
    Originally published by Image Comics in 2004, Flight, Volume One launched this graphic novel series with a resounding bang. Since then the Flight series has steadily increased in popularity–and now all of the Flight backlist will be coming to Villard! Flight, Volume One received a great boost when graphic novel hero Scott McCloud praised the quality and artistry of the book in an afterward entitled THE YEAR COMICS TOOK FLIGHT. Little could readers know at the time how prophetic McCloud’s words would prove to be. "Regardless of where it’s shelved, this book belongs in every library." (Library Journal on Flight, Volume One).


    Y : the last man. Book one [graphic novel] / Brian K. Vaughan, writer ; Pia Guerra, penciller ; José Marzán, Jr., inker
    Yorick Brown, twenty two-years-old, unemployed and an amateur escape artist, is the last man alive in the world after a male-killing plague wipes out every male of every species on earth. Only Yorick and his pet monkey are spared. So begins an extraordinary journey as Yorick sets out to solve the mystery of the plague and attempts to preserve the future of mankind. But how can one man save an entire species when his heart belongs to only one woman - and she's on the other side of the globe? Suggested for mature readers. Originally published in single magazine form as Y: the last man 1-10.


    Daredevil, the man without fear!. [Book 1] [graphic novel] / writer, Brian Michael Bendis ; art, Alex Maleev ... [et. al]
    Witness the Kingpin's downfall at the hands of Sammy Silke and see how a down-on-his-luck FBI agent can change Matt's life forever. Contains material originally published in magazine form as Daredevil #16-19 and #26-40.



    Bone : The complete cartoon epic in one volume [graphic novel] / by Jeff Smith
    The adventure starts when cousins Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are run out of Boneville and later get separated and lost in the wilderness, meeting monsters and making friends as they attempt to return home.



    Blankets [graphic novel] : an illustrated novel / by Craig Thompson
    At 592 pages, Blankets may well be the single largest graphic novel ever published without being serialized first. Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith. A profound and utterly beautiful work from Craig Thompson.

    No comments: