Monday, July 25, 2011

Top 5 strange, random, logical, statistical things I learned about our top 5 blog

List by Tosca

The library connects us with the insight and knowledge, painfully extracted from Nature, of the greatest minds that ever were, with the best teachers, drawn from the entire planet and from all our history, to instruct us without tiring, and to inspire us to make our own contribution to the collective knowledge of the human species. I think the health of our civilization, the depth of our awareness about the underpinnings of our culture and our concern for the future can all be tested by how well we support our libraries.
- Carl Sagan, Cosmos (which we have in book and DVD)

Danielle and I realised in May that our Top 5 Goodies blog had reached 20,000 hits. We had a quiet celebration here in our cubicle, an almost-but-not-quite victory dance that involved cheesecake and grins all around. I don't mind admitting that back at the start I never really had a clue where this whole thing - Two Girls and a Blog (yes, with capital letters) - could end up. I only knew that we wanted to write about library books. It had been in the back of our minds for a few weeks and we'd discussed it up one side and down the other until, one day, I mocked it up and then, suddenly, we were live. We weren't even sure we'd have an audience. I mean, let's face it, both of us are quite eclectic readers and are fairly opinionated in our own way (probably me more so than Danielle). I had to ask myself who'd want to deliberately tune in to what amounts to, in my case anyway, a major dose of overshare and an overinflated sense of self-importance? As it turns out, quite a few people. We thought this was just going to be about library books. And it is, there's no denying that, but it's also been an opportunity to share how much books influence a large part of who we are, where we've been and what we hope to become. If nothing else, it's given some of you an insight into my crazy, madcap family. And we are aware, everyday, of just how incredibly lucky we are that others want to read about that, too. I think, just between you, me (and the entire blogverse), we've had a pretty good run of it so far and we hope to ride it out for a little while longer. Thank you, everybody, for reading and/or commenting! It truly, truly could not have lasted as long otherwise. Today's post is simply a summation of some of our blog statistics: the strange, the random and the logical. Which pretty much sums up this blog, really :)



Top 6 referring sites
Where people come from to find/stumble across our blog:
  • 1,978: Google.com
  • 754: Manukau Libraries website
  • 730: Google.co.nz
  • 464: Google.co.uk
  • 373: Google.com.au
  • 329: Auckland Libraries


  • Top monthly hits
    Months with views higher than 2,000:
  • Dec 2010: 2,160
  • Jan 2011: 2,068
  • Mar 2011: 2,411
  • Apr 2011: 2,036
  • May 2011: 2,226


  • 6 countries where we're being read
    The 6 that surprise me the most (assuming they're correct - I'm always iffy about stats):
  • Netherlands
  • Canada
  • Germany
  • Denmark
  • India
  • Russia


  • Top 6 most popular posts of all time

  • Top 5 NZ reggae bands
  • Top 5 new manga titles
  • Agatha Christie's Top 5 Poirot novels
  • Top 5 cd compilations that capture my idea of a summer Christmas
  • Top 5 teen action/adventure series
  • 5 books from Manukau Library that I hope will help explain earthquakes to a child and provide ideas for helping


  • Top 10 search terms - People have found us in the most logical and most unusual of ways:
  • best new manga
  • top action series
  • best adventure series
  • best poirot novels
  • gina torres heels
  • top 5 graphic novels
  • best dance flicks
  • best dystopian movies
  • great new manga
  • best romance audio books


  • Tosca's comment: Gina Toress heels?! This search term right here has to be my favourite. From memory, I don't think we've ever had anything in any of our posts to do with either Gina Torres OR heels and I snort with laughter everytime I see it.

    No comments: