Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Top 5 items I took out last week that are totally worth sharing

List by Tosca

"When I got my library card, that's when my life began."
- Rita Mae Brown

A while back I lost my book mojo and, for someone who lives for books as much as I do, it was a weird time. To say the least. I went from reading/enjoying anywhere from 30-40 books a month to pretty much zero. It was extremely frustrating. I would see books come and go and feel not a twinge of interest. Then, bit by bit, it came back. Admittedly, it's not even close to the level it was at a year ago, but I'm taking it a book (or a DVDs or a magazine or even a CD) at a time. And you know, I think I'm ok with that. One thing I've started to do since my book mojo came back is, at the end of each week, make note (mental note/written note/whatever) of the top 5 books I liked enough to want to share. To date I've never actually thought to share those particular lists but I think I might make it a regular post. So, here's a top 5 roundup of books/DVDs I took out last week that I really enjoyed that you may have missed.



Time / Time New Zealand
Time magazine. Issue: May 30, 2011.

Tosca's comment: Articles of interest:
  • Sex and power: Why powerful men abuse women - and get away with it by Nancy Gibbs - sparked by the Dominique Strauss-Kahn sexual-assault charges
  • France's turning point: French women start a conversation about sexual misconduct by Elaine Sciolino
  • Can they win, one tweet at a time?: To spread the Gospel of Barack, the White House doubles down social media by Michael Scherer
  • Monsters Inc.: Lady Gaga's "little monsters" are the hardest working fans in show business by Douglas Wolk


  • 30-minute social media marketing : step-by-step techniques to spread the word about your business fast and free / Susan Gunelius
    Designed specifically for busy small business owners, this book will help you maximize your business's visibility and generate profits - regardless of the size of your marketing budget or the time you have to devote to it.--From back cover.

    Tosca's comment: Interesting read and, weirdly, a great conversational starter on my morning bus ride to work. Everyone who sat near me or next to me had an opinion about social media and, more often than not, would read along over my shoulder.

    Primeval. The complete series one [DVD videorecording] / BBC Worldwide
    When evolutionary zoologist Nick Cutter discovers prehistoric creatures alive and well in the present day the natural world is turned on its head and humanity faces a threat to its very existence. Rated M: Suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over. Note: Contains violence.

    Tosca's comment: Ooh this is Danielle's recommendation and I have to say I was rather sceptical about the quality of the special effects but gah I'm loving this so much! Adventure, suspense, yearnage (yes, I know that's not a word, but it sums up intense longing and/or unrequited love) and dinosaurs. How could I not enjoy it?

    The Gruen transfer [DVD videorecording] / Australian Broadcasting Corporation
    Finally, The Gruen Transfer on DVD! Now with twice as much actual Gruen! Here are all ten episodes of this fast, funny show about advertising. Hosted by the inimitable Will Anderson, who is backed by a panel of industry experts, TGT decodes and defuses the commercial messages that swirl through our lives. Buy the DVD now and there are no further payments for two years! But wait, there's more! Extras include: extended versions of the Road Safety and Bank conversations; our own Gruen ads; unseen Wil riffs; and six of our favourite, never-shown-on-TV segments, tearfully cut from the original shows. And if that's not enough, this DVD will also reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles! And it's 98% fat free!

    Tosca's comment: Hilarious! I used to try and watch The Gruen Transfer when it was on tv but only ever managed to catch bits and pieces. So imagine my SQUEE to find out we had it on DVD? Irreverent, relevant and so full of win. Contains Aussie humour so watch at your own risk.

    Mana / Mana Productions
    The Māori magazine for everyone. Issue: June - July 2011. 100th issue.

    Tosca's comment: Articles of interest:
  • The Mana story by Derek Fox
  • Profile: Traci at the helm by Bruce Mercer - an interview with Traci Houpapa
  • The politicians by Derex Fox - Fox reflects on Māori politicians/politics over the last two decades
  • The future of te reo Māori by Aaron Smale - Te reo Māori may be legally recognised but needs to be revitalised in the home
  • Whakaakoranga by Heeni Collins - Māori education yesterday and today
  • Digital rangatiratanga by Potaua Biasiny-Tule
  • Māori media (including Leo Koziol's pick of the five most groundbreaking Māori films of all time)
  • No comments: