Thursday, June 16, 2011

My top 5 confessions about library items I've read/watched this week

List by Tosca

"Always read something that will make you look good if you die in the middle of it."
- P.J. O'Rourke

This list will not have much in the way of an introduction. It's a list of confessions - things these books/dvds made me think, do and/or feel. What have I learnt about myself? That I'm not a particularly complex person :)



Honourable mention
  • Rogue [DVD videorecording] / Writer and director, Greg McLean and starring Michael Vartan and Radha Mitchell - My confession? I love movies with gigantic animals that go around chomping on people. You're swimming along and then CHOMP! "OMG it's a giant crocodile!" You're rowing your boat then CHOMP! "OMG it's a flying piranha!" Or you're sailing down the Amazon and then CHOMP! "OMG it's an anaconda!" You're jogging along and then CHOMP! "OMG it's a kaprosuchus!" Or, you know, you get eaten by a Sharktopus. Totally plausible. Lake Placid, the movie? My ultimate chomping fav. Yeah, I know, I don't get out much.
  • Shapely ankle preferr'd : a history of the lonely hearts ad by Francesca Beauman - My confession? I dog-eared page 62 of Howick Library's copy of this book for this specific lonely hearts ad text. It struck me as both funny and slightly sad. Assuming I read it right. She is looking for a 'sugar daddy' right...?
    "A lady, whose accomplishments hath acquired the esteem of the beau monde, having lately lost a secret friend, is desirous of putting herself under the protection of any person of rank and fortune. Person agreeable; disposition happy; can suit herself either to the sprightly levity of the gay, or the more sedate turn of the grave and wise. Though brought up in the bon ton, her reason is not impaired..."


    The endearment / LaVyrle Spencer
    "Lovely, fiery tempered Anna Reardon was forced to lie to get out of the street urchin's life that shamed her...to become Karl Lindstrom's mail-order bride in the beautiful, treacherous Minnesota wilderness. Karl forgave Anna for her deceptions - but there was still one shameful, burning secret that she had to hide from him, knowing its relevation would destroy the love that had become her very life!"

    Tosca's comment: My confession? I judged this book by its (oh so very ugly) cover and took longer to read it as a result. In the end, it was a fairly good read. I felt pretty bad about that. I have always judged books by their covers and will probably always do so. In spite of instances like this. I guess I'm going to continue to feel bad, huh.

    Breaking point / Pamela Clare
    "While investigating border violence in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico, Denver journalist Natalie Benoit is caught in a bloody ambush and taken captive. Alone in the hands of ruthless killers, she will need every ounce of courage she possesses to survive. Betrayed by another operative, Chief Deputy U.S. Marshal Zach McBride has endured a week of torture and interrogation at the hands of a bloodthirsty Mexican drug cartel. Ready to give his life if he must, he remains unbroken--until he hears the cries of an American woman. Although Natalie is only a voice in the darkness of their shared prison, her plight brings renewed strength to Zach's battered body. With her help, he overpowers their captors, and they flee through the desert toward the border, the attraction between them flaring hotter than the Sonoran sun. But past loss and tragedy leave both of them reluctant to follow their hearts, even when the passion between them reaches its breaking point. Faced with feelings neither expected, they fight to stay ahead of the danger that hunts them as forces more powerful than they can imagine conspire to destroy them both..." -- Publisher description.

    Tosca's comment: My confession? I requested this title purely because I objectified the headless male body on the cover. I saw it and immediately thought to myself, 'Team Chest. FTW!' I made myself feel less perverted about requesting it by reading the Publishers Weekly review of it in Syndetics - which told me that the 'Complex characterizations and a fast-paced plot filled with sensual romance and mystery make this a highly enjoyable read.' I felt like I needed to intellectualise and justify my shallow love of the cover. Oh! The things I tell myself to seem more respectable.

    Kiss of snow / Nalini Singh
    "Since the moment of her defection from the Psynet and into the snowdancer wolf pack, Sienna Lauren has had one weakness. Hawke. A dangerous alpha, the response he draws from her could almost compel her to madness. Hawke is used to walking alone, having lost the woman who would've been his mate. But Sienna fascinates the primal heart of him, even as he tells himself she is far too young to handle the wild fury of the wolf." -- Back cover.

    Tosca's comment: My confession? I waited until my sister went to sleep and then I nicked her copy of this book, stayed up all night reading it and shoved it back in the wee hours of the morning. She didn't realise what I'd done (although she will now because she reads this blog). I spent the rest of the day a tad bit dozier than normal due to lack of sleep. Well worth it and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Second confession: Every time I read one of Nalini's novels I wish the fantasy world of Psy-Changelings was real and that I could have a Changeling of my very own. Every. Single. Time. And I'm not embarrassed to admit that.

    Grey Gardens [DVD videorecording] / Directed by Michael Sucsy
    Based on the life stories Edith "Big Edie" Bouvier Beale and her daughter, Edith "Little Edie" Bouvier Beale who are the eccentric aunt and first cousin of Jackie Onassis. They were raised as Park Avenue débutantes, but withdrew from New York society. They took shelter at their Long Island summer home called 'Grey Gardens.' As their wealth and contact with the outside world dwindled, so did their grasp on reality. They were reintroduced to the world when international tabloids learned of a health department raid on their home. At that point, Jackie swooped in to save her relatives. PG - Parental guidance recommended for younger viewers.

    Tosca's comment: My confession? I returned this DVD 5 days late, thereby clocking up a $5 fine...and I didn't even watch it. Everyone who has seen this movie has told me it is great. On a colleague's recommendation (not to do her a disservice, she really talked it up and it sounded - still sounds - absolutely fascinating) I took it home...for it to sit and gather dust. I've decided, just now, that I'll request the actual documentary the film was based on and watch that first. Then I'll think about requesting the film again (and hopefully watching it and returning it on time).

    Mystery / Jonathan Kellerman
    "The closing of their favorite romantic rendezvous, the Fauborg Hotel in Beverly Hills, is a sad occasion for longtime patrons Alex Delaware and Robin Castagna. And gathering one last time with their fellow faithful habitués for cocktails in the gracious old venue makes for a bittersweet evening. But even more poignant is a striking young woman—alone and enigmatic among the revelers—waiting in vain in elegant attire and dark glasses that do nothing to conceal her melancholy. Alex can’t help wondering what her story is, and whether she’s connected to the silent, black-suited bodyguard lingering outside the hotel. Two days later, Alex has even more to contemplate when police detective Milo Sturgis comes seeking his psychologist comrade’s insights about a grisly homicide. To Alex’s shock, the brutalized victim is the same beautiful woman whose lonely hours sipping champagne at the Fauborg may have been her last. But with a mutilated body and no DNA match, she remains as mysterious in death as she seemed in life. And even when a tipster’s sordid revelation finally cracks the case open, the dark secrets that spill out could make Alex and Milo’s best efforts to close this horrific crime not just impossible but fatal." -- Publisher description.

    Tosca's comment: My confession? This book is overdue *winces* As in way overdue. I'm liking it so much I've drawn out its reading to the possible nth degree. And then some. I apologise to those in queue. I promise to return it today. In my defense, this is my first Alex Delaware novel in umm *counts up* since five or six years. I stopped reading him because I felt that his books had become...formulaic. And I hate to say that because I heart Alex and Milo. I also stopped reading Kellerman because I couldn't stand Robin. I thought she was a feckless woman who did not deserve Alex in the slightest and she proved it a few novels back (spoiler alert for those who don't know the novels) when she became pregnant by another guy while living with Alex. She's human. Maybe a little too human for me. That and I'm incredibly judgemental about her. And so I stopped requesting Kellerman's novels. Then, this year, at a loose end for a book, I picked up Mystery. And am loving it. Kellerman's writing seems better, tighter, slightly slicker (is that even a word?) and I am enjoying Milo and Alex's dynamics more than I ever have before.
  • 3 comments:

    Kelly M said...

    You've read Kiss of snow? **Jealous** on the library waiting list for it :) I lurve the psy changeling series oh so much....c'mon Kaleb's book! (I hope) Just finished reading Magic Bites (the 1st Kate Daniels book by Ilona Andrews) after Nalini recommended it, was gooood! Filled in the waiting time for Kiss of snow nicely :) Still have a pile of things to read anyhows....thanks to SOMEONE and their excellent nextread newsletter suggestions ;P

    catatonia said...

    I have indeed read 'Kiss of snow'! Am considering buying it in ebook format. Saw it at Books on Board at a great price and really, really want it to own. Though would prefer in physical copy.

    catatonia said...

    OH! And those eNewsletters are a terrible, beautiful thing, n'est-ce pas? My requests are phenomenal *guilty look*