Wednesday, May 4, 2011

5 movies that didn't live up to their trailers (accompanied by a whole heap of honourable mentions, too)

List by Adrian, Dipti, Simon & Anne

"What puzzles most of us are the things which have been left in the movies rather than the things which have been taken out."
- Agnes Repplier

My name is Tosca and I have terrible taste in movies. All of my friends and family know this about me and accept it...they just don't let me choose which movies we will watch as a group. Every situation has pluses and minuses, right? Recently I visited Event Cinemas Manukau with friends and watched the Kiwi film 'My wedding and other secrets' and saw a number of trailers for up and coming movies. All of them made me laugh and that, to my mind, was enough of a reason to see them all. Only I know I won't because past experience has taught me that, more often than not, movies that I willingly choose to see have thrown all of the best bits into the trailers and left nothing for the film itself. Slight exaggeration? Mmm, I thought not. So I sat down to write a 'Top 5 movies that didn't live up to their trailers' post and got no further than listing one title. One! Total #fail moment. And yet I knew that there were lots of trailers that I would rate as better than the movies. Hoping that others felt that way, too, I turned to Twitter/Facebook, as you do (or maybe just as I do) and posed the question: 'Movies that didn't live up to the trailer? Suggestions please :)' The first five responses came from Twitter - those make up the main body of this post - and all of the honourable mentions (some 20 in total) came from Facebook friends/family/colleagues. Thank you ALL for your very honest answers (which have been included with this post).

My humblest apologies for thinking of my friend Adrienne and writing her name instead of Adrian!



Honourable mention:
  • Adrian: Never say never (Tosca's note: Justin Bieber film - yes, apparently, someone let him make a film); Pride and prejudice (with Keira Knightley); Rio; Yogi Bear
  • Anne: The white Masai; The last airbender
  • Courtney: Cloverfield - Courtney writes: I was so in love with the hype for Cloverfield and then :(
  • Dion: Thor (in fact, Dion rates Titanic as being better and I get the feeling he detested Titanic); Australia (Tosca's note: I watched this for Jackman alone and am absolutely unrepentant about it even if I agree)
  • Nuala: Clash of the Titans; Percy Jackson and the lightning thief
  • Rongo: Click; Speed 2; Sex and the city 2; All about Steve; Miss Congeniality 2; Matrix revolutions (Tosca's note: I'm beginning to get the idea my sibling should stay away from sequels - which I have told her to do numerous times)
  • Sharon: All about Steve
  • Stefan: Wild Hogs (Stefan's note: except for the Extreme Makeover Home Edition bit at the end); anything beginning with 'Harry Potter...' (Tosca's note: I like the Potter movies but I almost fell of my chair laughing at this); The Piano


  • Eat pray love / screenplay by Ryan Murphy, Jennifer Salt; directed by Ryan Murphy (based on the book by Elizabeth Gilbert)
    Tagline: Let yourself go.
    A happily married woman who is trying to get pregnant realizes that her life needs to go in a new direction. After a very painful divorce, she risks everything and embarks on a journey around the world that becomes a quest for self-discovery.

    M - Suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over. NOTE: Contains offensive language.

    Killers / a film by Robert Luketic ; screenplay by Bob Derosa and T.M. Griffin ; story by Bob Derosa ; directed by Robert Luketic
    "He's tall, dark and handsome with a hint of mystery. What more does Jen (Katherine Heigl) need to know about Spencer (Ashton Kutcher), the man who's just swept her off her feet down in the French Riviera? Well, maybe that he's a professional spy whose special talent is assassination. But no matter, neither bullets nor bombs nor bad guys with big guns can keep these two from living happily ever after--if they can get through the day alive" -- Container.

    Rating: M - Suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over. NOTE: Contains violence, sexual references and offensive language.

    Knight and day / written by Patrick O'Neill; directed by James Mangold
    An action-comedy centered on a fugitive couple on a glamorous and sometimes deadly adventure where nothing and no one even themselves are what they seem. Amid shifting alliances and unexpected betrayals, they race across the globe, with their survival ultimately hinging on the battle of truth vs. trust. June Havens finds her everyday life tangled with that of a secret agent who has realized he isn't supposed to survive his latest mission. As their campaign to stay alive stretches across the globe, they soon learn that all they can count on is each other.

    M - Suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over. NOTE: Contains violence and offensive language.

    The other guys / written by Adam McKay & Chris Henchy ; directed by Adam McKay
    Tagline: When the top cops are busy...our only hope is... The Other Guys.
    When two mismatched NYPD detectives stumble into a seemingly dull case that no other detective wants to bother with, it turns out to be New York City's biggest crime. The two seize the opportunity to step up like the city's top cops, whom they idolize. But do these two guys have the right stuff?

    M - Suitable for mature audiences 16 years and over. NOTE: Contains violence, sexual references and offensive language.

    Star Wars : Episode 1 The Phantom Menace / written and directed by George Lucas
    Tagline: The saga begins.
    Two Jedi knights uncover a wider conflict when they are sent as emissaries to the blockaded planet Naboo. -- IMDB.com

    PG - Parental guidance recommended for younger viewers. Note: Contains low level violence.

    1 comment:

    Danielle said...

    Courtney, I'm so there with you over Cloverfield. The hype was so exciting, and I always have gigantic hopes for anything by JJ Abrams, and then... a movie about whiny, skinny supermodel types avoiding something that I'd much rather just ate them. Also, my husband got motion sickness. Boo all round, Cloverfield.