Sunday, March 6, 2011

Top 5 films nominated for The 31st Annual RAZZIE® Awards Worst Picture 2010

List by Tosca

"Only thing worse than watching a bad movie is being in one."
- Elvis Presley

And Elvis would know, right? Not to diss the man because I enjoyed his music even if I didn't understand the hype but, for whatever reason, he sure had his share of bad movies. If there's one thing I've learned about people's tastes when it comes to film, it's all subjective. One man's eww is most definitely another person's ooh.

While playing in strange and subversive pockets of the internet I came across the Razzies site and spent ages browsing their past lists while both vehemently agreeing and disagreeing with them and myself. Founded in 1980 by John Wilson, the Razzies are a parody of awards shows in general and the Oscars in particular. With 31 years worth of lists and categories to choose from I decided to keep it simple and go for the Worst Picture 2010 nominees with the 'winning' movie at #1.

I'm a fan of bad movies for a bunch of reasons: they're a great antidote to a bad day, they make for an awesome girls' night in, sometimes they're so bad it's hilarious and, well, sometimes the eye candy is (just barely) worth the bad acting and dialogue. I have seen 4 of the 5 titles below and, while I wouldn't say they're the absolute worst films I saw in 2010, they'd certainly be in the top 15.


Vampires suck - written and directed by Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer ; produced by Peter Safran, Jason Friedberg & Aaron Seltzer
Sink your teeth into the Extended Bite Me Edition of the hysterically funny spoof, with more outrageous humor and bloody good fun! Becca, an angst-ridden teenager at a new high school, finds herself torn between two supernatural suitors: a moody vampire and an extremely hairy werewolf. Bonus features include the unrated version, deleted scenes, and gag reel.

Tosca's comment: Some people might find themselves put off by a Razzie nominated film. I am not one of those people. Haven't seen it but am definitely requesting it.


The bounty hunter - an Andy Tennant film ; produced by Neal H. Moritz ; written by Sarah Thorp ; directed by Andy Tennant
Milo, a down-on-his-luck bounty hunter, gets his dream job when he is assigned to track down his bail-jumping ex-wife, reporter Nicole. He thinks it's an easy payday, until she gives him the slip to chase a lead on a murder cover-up. Milo soon realizes that nothing is ever simple with him and Nicole. As the two continue to one-up each other, they find themselves on the run for their lives. If they thought their promise to love, honor, and obey was tough, staying alive will be a lot tougher!

Gerard Butler *sigh* I have watched him in a skirt (300), in a leather jacket (Dear Frankie), as an Irishman who left letters for his wife (PS I love you), as a singing stalker (Phantom of the opera) and, just recently, as a bounty hunter. I avoided this movie on purpose because I wasn't even sure the eye candy was enough to entice me but a sibling caught me in a good mood.


Sex and the city 2 - a Darren Star production ; a film by Michael Patrick King
The fun, the fashion, the friendship: this sequel brings it all back and more as Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte, and Miranda come together to take another bite out of the Big Apple and beyond. What happens after you say 'I do?' Life is everything the ladies ever wished it would be, but it wouldn't be Sex and the City if life didn't hold a few more surprises. After all, sometimes you just have to get away with the girls.

Tosca's comment: I watched this series while in high school and I'm not sure how or why but I got the idea in my head that these women were strong, independent women who weren't waiting to be rescued by Prince Charming. No 'Sleeping Beauty' syndrome for these women - they were going to rescue themselves, thank you very much. And then, about 4 or 5 years ago, I staged a 'Sex and the city' marathon re-watch to coincide with the release of the film...and hated what I saw. Which says more about me than it does about the movies, I think. 3 years since the first movie came out and I can't say I liked the sequel any better - in fact, I hated it more - although I still heart Mr. Big.


The Twilight saga: Eclipse - produced by Wyck Godfrey, Karen Rosenfelt ; screenplay by Melissa Rosenberg ; directed by David Slade
It all begins with a choice. In the third chapter of Stephenie Meyer's phenomenal Twilight series, Bella Swan is surrounded by danger as Seattle is hit by a string of murders and an evil vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, Bella is forced to choose between her love, Edward Cullen, and her friend, Jacob Black, knowing that her decision may ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf.

Tosca's comment: I've never liked the Twilight books/movies and I never will. I do not find the idea of a co-dependent teenaged heroine and her stalker-of-a-vampire boyfriend 'intense' or 'romantic.' Can anybody spell 'restraining order'...?


The last airbender - written, produced and directed by M. Night Shyamalan
Join Aang, an extraordinary boy with incredible 'bending' powers, as he journeys through an exotic land filled with magical creatures and powerful friends. As the Avatar, he is the only one who can end the age-old conflict between the four nations, Air, Water, Earth, and Fire.

Tosca's comment: I've seen Shyamalan's films so I'm used to his twists at the end. That expectation ruined this film for me. I kept waiting for the easy-to-spot-but-I-didn't-see-it-coming twist that never arrived. I've watched the cartoons so know there isn't one. At all. But I still waited. That's my own fault. What wasn't my fault was the rather stilted dialogue and characters who had all the emotional depth of a puddle. And Mr 7 agrees with me, which is a sad state of affairs.

No comments: