Monday, February 14, 2011

Top 5 reasons to LIKE Auckland Libraries on Facebook

List by Tosca

"My oven has a button that says 'Stop Time'. I know it's probably supposed to say 'Stop Timer', but I don't touch it, just in case."
- Facebook status update (not mine but I wish it were because it's so full of WIN)

Auckland Libraries has a Facebook page. It's true - we do :) When I emailed all of the family I've ever known (and some I've never known) and asked them to check it out and click 'LIKE' if they support it, one of my siblings said, 'Why should I? Give me one good reason why I should.' I've always been a sucker for a challenge and 'Oneupmanship' is my middle name (ok, so it's not, but maybe it should be), and so a top 5 list was born. Here are 5 reasons to LIKE Auckland Libraries on Facebook.

Honourable mention:
  • You'll get to bump in to any one of the funny, witty and talented staff who will be responsible for updating the Facebook page - not that I'm biased :) You'll get to virtually meet Anne, Jo, Rachel, Sean and Tosca
  • Tosca's typos and oddball sense of humour - either a wonder to behold or something to fear (I'm not sure which)




  • It's a great way to see where Auckland Libraries is being mentioned in the media - believe it or not, we get mentioned on a daily basis (either directly or indirectly) in some small way or another and I'm always surprised where we turn up. From here on out I'll be sharing a lot of those on Facebook and Twitter.

    You get to see event updates and alerts as they happen - there are a large number of activities going on at any one time in most of our branches: Storytime, Wriggle & Rhyme, school holiday activities, reading programmes for kids and teens, Matariki talks, Treaty of Waitangi workshops, genealogy sessions...you name it, it's happening in your local library. What better place to get the lowdown than on our Facebook page?

    Blog post updates - did you know that Auckland Central has 4 blogs? Did you know that Auckland North has a blog? I bet you didn't! But you would if you follow us on Facebook :) I've set it up so that the Facebook page will show when our blogs - Books in the city, Teen blog, Kintalk / Whānau Kōrero, All things musical, Manukau and Rodney - have new posts for viewing. If you haven't yet had the opportunity to check them out I *highly* recommend you do!

    Books! - if you're a bibliophile always on the hunt for book recommendations or 'new books' list alerts you'll find more than enough to keep you busy for the rest of the year, I promise. In fact, you may complain that there's too much choice! Death by books, oh my *blinks*

    YOU get to have your say! - You get to contribute to the page. We want to know what you think about our services, our staff, our eNewsletters - anything and everything. Seriously, we do. We want to hear what works, what doesn't work and even how you think it could work a little better, your favourite library, what you're reading... :) How empowering is that? You get to help us shape Auckland Libraries...and it all starts with a LIKE and a comment :)

    No comments: