Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Top 5 craft books

List by Annie

"Other kids did drugs; I did crafts. I never knew where I fit in."
- Kathie Lee Gifford

Y’know, craft is getting bigger out there. More and more people are making their own presents and things. You might wonder why there’s no sewing books in here – that’s ‘cos I completely suck at sewing. But I’m great at knitting!



Turkish delight & treasure hunts : delightful treats and games from classic children's books / Jane Brocket
With the delightful activities (watch a spider spin her web, like E.B. White's Charlotte) and delicious recipes (Laura Ingall's Sugar on Snow) in "Turkish Delight Treasure Hunts," readers learn how to follow in the footsteps of their favourite childhood literary heroes.

Annie's note: Picking this book means I get the best of both worlds – Jane’s food and activity books based on children’s books. I *heart* Jane.

Homemade : gorgeous things to make with love / Ros Badger and Elspeth Thompson ; photography by Benjamin J. Murphy
"Whether driven by eco considerations and anti-consumerism or by the desire to own or give something personal rather than uniform, many more of us are getting out the knitting needles and sewing kit, and taking pleasure in lavishing some TLC on our homes, our friends, our children and ourselves. Homemade is packed full of ideas for things to make that make life that little bit better. From crocheted coat-hangers to cordials and cupcakes, from cushion covers made from vintage blankets, old shirts cut up to make summer bunting or beautifully simple decorating ideas for an old-fashioned Christmas tree, here are over a hundred ways of adding individuality to your home and to the things you give." -- Global Books in Print.

Annie's note: Makes you think you might even be able to achieve some of these. If only I knew where to get jam sugar, I’d be making foolproof strawberry jam.

Queen Bead's creative beading / Nia Glain Hodgson
Creative beading will inspire you to create fabulous bracelets, necklaces, earrings and pendants on any budget.

Annie's note: By the owner of my second home. Way achievable beading projects for complete individuality.

Vintage knits for modern babies / Hadley Fierlinger ; photography by Angela Lang
"A collection of 25 knitting patterns for baby and toddler clothing and accessories, based on vintage designs" -- Provided by publisher.

Annie's note: You get a book out of the library, skim through it and think 'Yeah, I could make that.' This book, I said 'I am making that...and that...oh, and that...' and went to my favourite wool shop and bought the yarn for the first project. Sold!

The gentle art of domesticity / Jane Brocket
Jane Brocket delights in domesticity. Lively, curious and creative, she takes inspiration from her surroundings, from art, literature and nature and, through the gentle arts of knitting, baking and sewing, enhances her family life. From angora cushions to gingerbread houses, from crochet blankets to geometric quilts, she injects her home with colour, beauty and fun. The result is a gorgeous, unusual and inspirational commonplace book, full of wit, whimsy and stunning photographs. Jane's fresh and thoughtful take on life will make you look at the world with new eyes. Whether you want to emulate her hand-knitted socks and colourful cupcakes or simply share her pleasure in life's small details, you will delight in the glorious synthesis of craft, style and intellectual pleasures.

Annie's note: Told you I loved her! This is number 1 because I understand. I am not domesticated – ie, hate housework and cooking to eat. But domesticity, I get that. I understand knitting socks, baking, and other crafty activities that make a house a home.

No comments: