Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Top 5 non-Christmas songs that the nephews and I will be singing on Christmas day

List by Tosca

Sing hey! Sing hey!
For Christmas Day;
Twine mistletoe and holly.
For a friendship glows
In winter snows,
And so let's all be jolly!
- Author Unknown

A quickie post because 1) it's almost midnight and 2) I just got in and 3) the parental unit are here and wanting to catch up :) I heart music! In all its gloriousness and badness and you can always guarantee that one of us will pull out a guitar on Christmas day and, before you know it, everyone's joining in for an impromptu singalong. Both of my parents encouraged a love of music and it's something that my siblings have in turn encouraged in their own children. This year mum asked me if I could get the nephews (Markhiem (13), Jaxin (12) and Kalani (7)) to sing a few songs. In my own (slightly delusional) mind I had picked out some Christmas carols (traditional and contemporary) for the boys to sing and arranged for our very first practice. Complete with me on guitar, I might add. The boys turned up...and totally booted my idea of Christmas music on its head - they wanted artists like Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga and even Britney Spears. SAY WHAT? I had chucked in a little Bic Runga and some Fur Patrol (go NZ music!). For a few minutes it was touch and go as to whether or not we could get through it without calling in a referee. In the interests of peace and goodwill (i.e. I threatened to storm off if they didn't agree on something/anything) we agreed to mix things up a little - my choices and their choices. All I can say is that I will be heartily sick and tired of Bruno Mars by the end of the day *grumpy face* Interestingly, there were no Christmas songs. Oops. Maybe next year, mum...? Our top 5 selections (after much heated debate and temper tantrums) are below!



Just a quick note: we do have more than 5 songs lined up (I was outvoted for Alanis, though, hah) but none of them are the least bit Christmas-y *shamefaced look* Oh, and they boys aren't the least bit interested in NZ music (I'm sorry Dave Dobbyn and Split Enz, you were also voted off the Christmas singalong island). I call that a major #auntfail moment and have decided to take their music education in hand (oh goshness help us all).

Just the way you are by Bruno Mars from the album Doo-wops & hooligans
Lyric: When I see your face
There's not a thing that I would change
'Cause you're amazing
Just the way you are

Listening for the weather by Bic Runga from the album Beautiful Collision
Lyric: So I'm listening for the weather to predict the coming day
Leave all thought of expectation to the weather man
No it doesn't really matter what it is he has to say
'Cause tomorrows keep on blowing in from somewhere

Tosca's note: Mellow summer's day + Bic Runga = FTW!

Marry you by Bruno Mars from the album Doo-wops & hooligans
Lyric: It’s a beautiful night,
We’re looking for something dumb to do
Hey baby,
I think I wanna marry you

Tosca's note: As heard on the Glee tv show (because the nephews are really impressionable that way *rolls eyes*

Hey soul sister by Train from the album Save me, San Francisco
Lyric: Your lipstick stains
On the front lobe of my left-side brains
I knew I wouldn't forget you
And so I went and let you blow my mind

Tosca's note: And no NOT because it was on Glee but because when we harmonise it is AWESOME :) Although not as awesome as the very cute Blaine from Glee. When I first heard this song I was blown away by Train's lead singer's vocals (Pat Monahan).

Something in the water by Brooke Fraser from the album Flags
Lyric: I wear a demeanor made of bright pretty things
What she wears, what she wears, what she wears
Birds singing on my shoulder in harmony it seems
How they sing, how they sing, how they sing

Tosca's note: Perfect acoustic song and it's pretty, catchy, quirky. I don't think I need another reason!

No comments: