Monday, December 6, 2010

Top 5 favouritest Bon Jovi songs ever in the history of Bon Jovi songs

List by Tosca

'Is there a doctor in the house? Your love is like bad medicine...'
~ Jon Bon Jovi, 5th December 2010, Vector Arena (and I know this, because I was there, and I heard him say it before he started to sing)

Bon Jovi *sigh* Big music and even bigger hair :) Someone just mentions their name and I feel like a giddy kid all over again. This top 5 is a simple list of my 5 favouritest Bon Jovi songs in the history of Bon Jovi songs ever and are all found on the Greatest hits : ultimate collection [CD]. Although, as usual, there is a (rather long winded although I did try to be short but failed abysmally) story to go with said list *winces* All attached images are ones I took last night. There's also a total SQUEE fangirl moment included that is not mine but Merrin's :)



Wikipedia will tell you Bon Jovi started doing the musical rounds in 1983 but I will forever remember them for re-introducing me to rock music in 1986. At 11 years old I was one of those awkward kids who coloured in the lines because life seemed much easier if you kept your head down but one day a friend did me a favour and played me Bon Jovi...and I fell in love all over again with rock music. I was seduced by the guitar riffs, the heartstopping drum solos and the wailing lead vocals. I remembered that music, and my ability to enjoy it, was effortless. And fun. Last night, for just short of three hours, I had my chance to relive that time over again when I attended the Bon Jovi concert at Vector Arena.

Merrin, a colleague and friend, is a big Bon Jovi fan. Earlier this year she excitedly told me that they'd be coming back for a gig and, somehow, I agreed to go, paid for my ticket, and then promptly forgot all about it. Two weeks out from the gig I realised how suddenly close it was and started to feel like maybe this could be a good thing after all. Boy, was I oh-so-wrong. The minute Jon (I call him Jon, because we're best friends like that - ok, no, we're not) stepped out on stage it was beyond good. It was superb. Spectacular. Outstanding. Brilliant. Flawless. Faultless. And can I do it again, please and thank you? And is it entirely shallow of me that I found myself reliving my 11-year-old girl crush all over again...?

Greatest hits : ultimate collection [CD].

Livin' on a prayer - written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richard Sambora and Desmond Child
We've got to hold on ready or not
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got...


Tosca's note: Would I be wrong in saying that 'Living on a prayer' might be one of Bon Jovi's most memorable of songs? My sisters tell me it is o_O

You give love a bad name - written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richard Sambora and Desmond Child
Shot through the heart and you're to blame
Darlin' you give love a bad name...


Tosca's note: Is it true that this song is to do with Diane Lane's breakup with Jon Bon Jovi? I didn't even know that they'd dated. How old is that gossip, geez? Not exactly a caring/sharing kinda song :P

Bad medicine - written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richard Sambora and Desmond Child
Your love is like bad medicine
Bad medicine is what I need...


Tosca's note: Don't kick me but for some reason this song always reminds me of Def Leppard and I really don't have any idea why o_O I feel guilty for thinking that *gulps*

Wanted dead or alive - written by Jon Bon Jovi, Richard Sambora
I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride
I'm wanted dead or alive
Wanted dead or alive...


Tosca's note: the opening guitaring on this track is, in my opinion, one of the most distinctive of any of their songs. Feel free to disagree. Merrin and I were watching an old clip of 'Wanted dead or alive' and, as young as they were, their faces have more character now than they did then (but wow were they good looking).

Blaze of glory - written by Jon Bon Jovi
I'm going down in a blaze of glory
Take me now but know the truth...


Tosca's note: They didn't sing this song last night and it's my #1! It's inclusion here has caused some 'heated discussion' amongst my siblings because 'Blaze of glory' was never released as a band single but as a solo. However, this is my list and I'm putting it there GRR

If you're interested in what songs they played last night you can view their setlist. Disagree with my selection? You know what to do! Write in and tell us your version :)

Fangirl SQUEE moment: Jon Bon Jovi touched Merrin's hand! It's true, he did. He ran down the walkway (with security of course) when moving from the small stage to the main and ran past us and Merrin reached out and he touched her hand. Unfortunately *frowns* another woman sitting near us asked to touch Merrin's hand and rubbed her fingers all over it. I was just grumpy about it because I wanted to touch it first. And so now Merrin's hand will remain unwashed for days to come (I'm kidding - she's washed it already).

No comments: