Saturday, December 18, 2010

Top 5 Christmas songs double-gosh-darn-guaranteed to get me feeling Christmassy

List by Tosca

"Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body. It warmed your heart... filled it, too, with melody that would last forever."
- Bess Streeter Aldrich

Preparing this top 5 post made me realise something that I never saw until just this minute. My dad enjoys Christmas music. I don't mean he generally likes it, I mean he *really* enjoys it. Every Christmas morning he loads up a Christmas playlist and without being aware of it we all sing along with it as we go about the day. I don't know how I skipped learning that about him after 35 years. When I mentioned it to another sibling she said to me, 'It was mum who was never a Christmas music fan.' Weirdly, I never knew that until now, either. My mum grew up musical, she always sang or played cello. These days she's more inclined to sing and play guitar, instead. Dad, however, often tells us he never had music growing up - they never sang or played any kind of an instrument. It wasn't something he learnt how to do until he met mum and then had us. Strange the things we learn or remember about our parents. We haven't had one of his playlists for a couple of years. Maybe, when he and mum come down next week to spend the day with us, we'll bring back the playlist. So, this post is for my dad, who taught me to enjoy Christmas music.

Honourable mention
* Please come home for Christmas as sung by Jon Bon Jovi (originally by The Eagles) - this song would be my penultimate #1 Christmas song choice for alltime however we do not hold anything with this version on it BOO HOO
* Winter wonderland by Harry Connick Jr - ragtime piano instrumental that makes me think of New Orleans. I have to admit that if we had Connick's version of this anywhere in our libraries it would be duking it out for the #1 spot with my above Jon Bon Jovi mention. Eep.



Feliz navidad as sung by Jose Feliciano
Feliz navidad
Prospero ano y felicidad

Tosca's note: Who doesn't like to get their groove on, even on Christmas day?

Mary's boy child | Oh my Lord as sung by Boney M
For a moment the world was aglow, all the bells rang out
There were tears of joy and laughter, people shouted,
"Let everyone know, there is hope for all to find peace."

Tosca's note: This particular Boney M song will always remind me of my childhood Christmases: getting up early, opening presents, mum and dad pottering around the kitchen and relatives starting to arrive.

O holy night as sung by Celine Dion
Fall on your knees
O hear the angel voices
O night divine
O night when Christ was born...

Tosca's note: I find it incomprehensible that so many people I come across detest Celine Dion. What is that about? She's beautiful, accomplished, can rock a ballad like nobody's business (and make it look effortles, I might add) and generally seems to be a nice person. Admittedly, I cannot stand 'My heart will go on' but that's more about over-exposure of the song than Dion's voice. Thanks to dad I've heard so many versions of this song but we'd both agree that hers is the best.

Snoopy's Christmas as sung by The Royal Guardsmen
Snoopy was certain that this was the end
When the Baron cried out "Merry Christmas, mein friend!"
The Baron then offered a holiday toast
And Snoopy our hero saluted his host
And then with a roar they were both on their way
Each knowing they'd meet on some other day...

Tosca's note: the last time Dad played this we sang along to it while peeling potatoes. I miss the ordinary :)

Last Christmas as sung by Wham!
Last Christmas I gave you my heart
But the very next day you gave it away
This year to save me from tears
I'll give it to someone special...

Tosca's note: Aww it's 'Last Christmas' - how could you *not* love it? Yes, my dad played Wham! but I suspect he may have done it just for his children :)

3 comments:

Annie said...

Just when the twin-thing was going well... Wham.

I *heard* Bing Crosby & David Bowie's duet of 'Little Drummer Boy'.

Shaz said...

I love Christmas music on Christmas Day as I rush around do the odds and ends (finish cooking up, clean up kids Christmas wrappers)..Makes my day :)

catatonia said...

LOL@Annie. Funnily, after this post went live I heard more songs that made me feel Christmassy: Jingle bell rock, Rockin' around the Christmas tree, Have yourself a merry little Christmas and a few other oldies that made me go 'Awww.'

Shaz - the parents are down at the moment and dad is already poking around on the pc for our Christmas music lists *rolls eyes* He said to me, 'You have to make me a copy of everything Christmassy.'