Monday, November 8, 2010

Top 5 songs I've considered as my 'personal theme'

List by Tosca

Music is the shorthand of emotion.
~ Leo Tolstoy

The idea of a personal theme song is one that appeals greatly. To me, at least :) I used to watch the Ally McBeal show - seasons 1 and 2, anyway, and then I lost interest because the storyline started to get odd(er). But one of Ally's weird ideas has stuck with me ever since, and it's the thought that each person needs their very own theme song. You may (or may not) remember that Ally's personal theme song was 'Tell him' by The Exciters and every time she thought of it she'd automatically feel more confident, happier and ready to face anything. Never in a million years will I be Ally McBeal, but I appreciate the sentiment, so much so that I've spent years since then trying to find a 'one size fits all' theme song. With no luck. Probably because I like lots of different songs for different moods and, when the situation fits, I'll pull them on and off like itchy woollen jerseys. This post is a quick Top 5 list of the most recent songs I have considered as theme songs for moi! This month, anyway :)



Do you have a song you consider your very own theme song? Why not share it with us? As always we love to receive top 5 lists so feel free to leave one as a comment OR email it to me: tosca.waerea@aucklandcouncil.govt.nz :)

Ehu girl from: This is the life / Kolohe Kai
You're my pretty little 'ehu girl who made me a fool in love
Got my heart twirling a whirl and now it needs coolin' off


My 13 year old nephew introduced me to Kolohe Kai's music and that was purely accidental. He was fooling around on Bebo and I happened to be walking past and heard the song 'Ehu girl' playing in the background. A little questioning elicited the following info: Kolohe Kai are from Oahu, Hawaii and were picked up while still in high school which, by the looks of their vids on YouTube, was probably last month LOL How's that for talent? Ehu girl is mellow, laid back and sweet - a nice (if not at the forefront) type of personal theme. If you enjoy Katchafire, Sweet and Irie and 1814 you will enjoy this ;)

'Waka waka (This time for Africa' by Shakira) from: Listen up!: the official 2010 FIFA World Cup album / Various artists
Tsamina mina zangalewa
Anawa aa
This time for Africa
Tsamina mina eh eh

Waka Waka eh eh

Totally infectious song! How can you not help but want to sing it/dance to it? And, if you've never seen me dance...it's pretty tragic. I am the only member of my family who has no ability to dance whatsoever. Sing, yes. Play guitar, absolutely. Dance? Laughable! I'm never in a month of Sundays co-ordinated enough to dance like they do in the video o_O But this song makes me think I could and, at the end of the day, maybe that's what counts. How it makes you feel.

'Never forget you' from: Wild Young Hearts / The Noisettes
I'll never forget you, they said we'd never make it
My sweet joy, always remember me


First time I heard this track I honest-to-goshness thought it was Gin Wigmore - the vocals are so uncannily similar. A quick session involving some serious Google-Fu taught me otherwise. What I thought was Gin's voice is actually Shingai Shoniwa (Zimbabwean descent) with UK indie rock band 'The Noisettes.' Their track 'Never forget you' is a real treat to hear! You may be more familiar with their song 'Don't upset the rhythm.'

'Pack up' from: Eliza Doolittle / Eliza Doolittle
Pack up your troubles in your old kit bag and bury them beneath the sea
I don't care what the people may say what the people may say about me


Eliza Doolittle, or Eliza Caird rather, is a UK artist. My first introduction to her rather unusual voice was a YouTube clip where she covered Cee'Lo's most recent (yet controversial) song complete with a double bass and a male backup. Quirky. To say the least. I like 'Pack up' and if I had to put my finger on why, it'd be because of the sample of the 1915 track 'Pack up your troubles in your old kit-bag.' Lloyd Wade's vocals on this bit are beyond great :)

'You shook me all night long' from: Back in black / AC/DC
She had the sightless eyes, tellin' me no lies
Knockin' me out with those American thighs


Angry, happy, productive, sad, feisty - I'm of the firm opinion that AC/DC has a song for all of those moods LOL I've been on a huge Supernatural series marathon re-watch lately and by 'marathon' I mean me with wild eyes, crazy hair, pyjama-clad and ignoring the phone/front door for 2 days straight to get through 22 episodes of Dean/Sam goodness. AC/DC's songs, and music much like it, are pretty much a staple of the show. This track in particular calls to mind empty, open roads, a 1964 Mustang convertible with the top down (or a 1967 Chevy Impala, even) and the world in front of you. It's no surprise, then, that 'You shook me all night long' is a longtime personal theme favourite of mine that the show has allowed me to dust off and examine anew. Again :0)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I <3 this blog Tosca! You rock

catatonia said...

Yes! I do :) Only not at dancing LOL Thanks for dropping by. Feel free to leave an idea for a Top 5 list as a comment. You can even let us know what books *you* would recommend for the list :P

catatonia said...

D'OH just realised I said 'books' but really meant CDs or songs :)