Thursday, November 4, 2010

Top 5 items I spied on the processing trolleys while stalking cataloguing staff

List by Tosca

"Reading well is one of the great pleasures that solitude can afford you."- Harold Bloom

I very firmly believe that. I also believe that reading badly (i.e. so called 'trashy') is another great (albeit guilty) pleasure of mine, too :) Both are time well spent. I heart our cataloguing people. They let me browse the new books trolleys at all hours of the work day and never say a word when I go madly racing off clutching the next round of interesting books/dvds/cds for a top 5 post. Even though I'm sure I resemble nothing short of Gollum feverishly brandishing his precious :0)

A quick-ish post from me that is simply the most recent top 5 titles I 'discovered' while stalking our ever patient cataloguing staff. Enjoy!



Jonathan Creek / starring Alan Davies & Caroline Quentin [DVD]
Jonathan Creek (Alan Davies) is a master of illusion. The brains behind magician Adam Klaus, he hides his brilliance behind a shy, shaggy exterior. He's no match for pushy, unorthodox journalist Maddy Magellan (Caroline Quentin) who has discovered another use for his unusual talents - solving impossible murders.

Tosca's note: For a wee while we've only held the first season in the Jonathan Creek series but the lovely Deb has gotten a hold of the rest. YUSS!

Midsomer murders / starring John Nettles [DVD]
Nothing is quite as it seems behind the closed doors of Midsomer County's chocolate-box cottages and picture perfect English countyside, as Inspector Barnaby soon discovers. Murder and mayhem abound in this highly acclaimed British whodunit based on the character created by Caroline Graham.

Tosca's note: Another instance where Deb has decided to fill in missing titles of series. THIS is why we heart her :) I've been a fan of John Nettles since his Bergerac days. In fact, he and Gerald Durrell are the reasons why, as a 6 year old, I wanted to visit Jersey Island. I'm pretty sure I was a normal child but things like that do make me wonder o_O

Trash origami: 25 paper folding projects reusing everyday materials / Michael G. LaFosse and Richard L. Alexander [nonfiction]
Two famed origami artists and award-winning authors offer 25 fun and innovative origami projects from their renowned Origamido Studio as well as many of the world's most talented paper-folding designers.

Tosca's note: The intricate art of origami is one that both soothes and irritates me at one and the same time. My cranes always look more like wilting toadstools. And my jumping frogs? I can't even! So why do I do it, then? There's something about all of that folding that appeals to the oddbod in me :) And this book right here? Oohh you can use old posters, scrapbookers squares, some kinds of plastic, bits of recovered paper, candy and gum wrappers and even travel brochures! It's eclectic and kinda retro (think 70s off the wall decor). I love :0)

Torchwood the complete first series and Torchwood the complete second series [DVD]
Captain Jack Harkness, the former Time Agent and con man from the 51st century last seen traveling with the Doctor, ventures to early 21st century Cardiff. There, he becomes a member of Torchwood Institute, a renegade criminal investigation group founded by Queen Victoria to battle hostile extraterrestrial and supernatural threats.

Tosca's note: O captain, my captain :) John Barrowman as Captain Jack Harkness? FTW! Torchwood is not Doctor Who's poor second cousin (this idea had been suggested to me and yes, that person is still breathing). It's dark, gritty, sexual and absolutely addictive to watch. Although I do often ask myself, while holding marathon re-watches, what would I do for the greater good? How far is *too* far? For some reason we'd only held season 3 for ages but a word in Deb's ear and we've ordered the first 2 seasons. They're not added to the catalogue yet, however you can request them from a couple of other branches in the meantime.

The girl in the song: the true stories behind 50 rock classics / Michael Heatley & Frank Hopkinson [nonfiction]
Women have long inspired rock artists, but what do fans really know about these muses? The Girl in the Song focuses on the girlfriends, wives, rivals, exes, groupies, celebrities, and even complete strangers who inspired 50 of rock's greatest songs. Who was the Emily in Pin Floyd's "See Emily Play"? What happened to Suzanne Verdal, the subject of Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne"? After John Lennon wrote "Dear Prudence" at an Indian ashram, did life change for Mia Farrow's sister Prudence? And whatever happened to Hermione Farthingale, "the girl with the mousy hair," an ex-girlfriend of David Bowie sings about in "Life on Mars"?

Tosca's note: Like most people my brain tends to retain odd/weird/bizarre things. The only problem is that I can never pick what it will retain. Having said/typed that, I'm almost certain that *this* - rock songs and how they were inspired - is going to be one of those things worth keeping forever. I've had just a quick look through and *sigh* it's fantastic. Just to name a few: Prudence Farrow's over meditating (Dear Prudence); Leonard Cohen's regrettable affair with Janis Joplin (Chelsea Hotel no. 2); The Hollies' band member Nash who had a crush on Marianne Faithfull but was too shy to name her (Carrie Anne) and even a festival goer who divested Rod Stewart of his virginity (Maggie May). If you only decide to read one musical book this year, make it this one. I have :)

We're always looking for ideas for top 5 posts so if you'd like to share some with us leave a comment or email me. And if you get the chance, check out the Auckland Libraries website.

2 comments:

kowhai reader said...

Like Tosca I ADORE Capt Jack! Rodney hold Series 1, 2 and 3 (which may or may not have something to do with the Suggestions for Purchase that I put through). You can order them from us (because I am busy watching all the Dr Who Series 5 DVD's for the episodes that I missed).

catatonia said...

Howdy :) You heart Jack!! I'm totally biased about Captain Jack (and Ianto, for that matter). John Barrowman does such a great job with the character - Jack is highly articulate, insane, clever, ruthless, compassionate and always prepared to kick some bad guy butt first and ask questions later. I cried the whole way through season 3 and I'm so badly hanging out for season 4 *taps foot impatiently*