Thursday, September 16, 2010

Top 5 trolley-find titles that caught my eye this week

List by Tosca

"I do not believe they've run out of surprises."
- Larry Niven

By jove, Mr. Niven, I do believe you're right! The cataloguing team never run out of surprises for me :) I spend at least 5 or 10 mins a day stalking the cataloguing staff and pouncing on their trolleys with squeals of delight. I'm a loud person and I know no other volume other than full bore and the poor cataloguing team often have to hear me cursing loudly at my computer & generally moaning about something or another over the wall. Oh, the joys of open office planning. As if that isn't bad enough I then invade their work space on a daily basis and browse through every trolley looking for titles of interest...while providing a running commentary on every single book I find *shamefaced look* They're awfully patient and for that I am most thankful because, to be truthful, it's one of the highlights of my working day. It's a timely reminder of why I do what I do - I want to share my love of books (the good, the bad and the indifferent) with anybody & everybody who sits/stands still long enough to hear/read. Today's post is nothing more than a quickfire list of titles I saw while stalking our cataloguing staff this week :)



Finding perfect / Susan Mallery
When Pia O'Brian's best friend dies, Pia expects to inherit her cherished cat. Instead, the woman leaves Pia three frozen embryos. With a disastrous track record in the romance department and the parenting skills of a hamster, Pia doesn't think she's meant for motherhood. But determined to do the right thing, Pia decides to become a single mother. Only to meet a gorgeous, sexy hunk the very same day.

A former foster-care kid now rich beyond his wildest dreams, Raoul Moreno runs a camp for needy children in Fool's Gold, California. After his last relationship, Raoul thought he was done with women and commitment. Still, he can't get sweet, sexy Pia out of his mind—and proposes a crazy plan. But can such an unconventional beginning really result in the perfect ending?

Tosca's note: Remember, I read romance novels! And I like Susan Mallery's books :) This particular title is book 3 in the Fool's Gold series - the first 2 titles being 'Chasing perfect' and 'Almost perfect.' Please note we do not hold 'Almost perfect.'

The grimrose path / Rob Thurman
Bar owner Triva Iktomi knows that inhuman creatures of light and darkness roam Las Vegas-especially since she's a bit more than human herself. She's just been approached with an unusual proposition. Something has slaughtered almost one thousand demons in six months. And the killing isn't going to stop unless Trixa and her friends step into the fight...

Tosca's note: I heart Thurman's 'Cal Leandros' series and when she started this new one featuring Trixa I was a bit reluctant to read the first one. It sat in my to-be-read pile for a full month until I read it. Felt like an idiot when I realised I liked it. D'OH. This particular title is book 2 in Trickster series, book 1 is 'Trick of the light.'

Wings of fire / edited by Jonathan Strahan & Marianne S. Jablon
Dragons: Fearsome fire-breathing foes, scaled adversaries, legendary lizards, ancient hoarders of priceless treasures, serpentine sages with the ages' wisdom, and winged weapons of war... Wings of Fire brings you all these dragons, and more, seen clearly through the eyes of many of today's most popular authors, including Peter Beagle, Holly Black, Orson Scott Card, Charles De Lint, Diana Wynne Jones, Mercedes Lackey, Ursula K Le Guin, Dean R Koontz, George R. R. Martin, Anne McCaffrey, Elizabeth Moon, Garth Nix, and many others.

Tosca's note: Thanks to parents with incredibly eclectic reading tastes I grew up reading McCaffrey's 'Dragons of Pern' series and, as a result, discovered 2 things: I wanted my very own dragon (I'm not sure where I would have put her OR fed her but I wanted one all the same); I would forever after be fascinated by dragons. The cover caught my attention, then the title and then part of the synopsis: 'From writing wyrms to snakelike devourers of heroes; from East to West and everywhere in between, Wings of fire is sure to please dragon lovers everywhere.' That's enough for me!

Cowboy commando / Joanna Wayne
On navy SEAL missions Cutter Martin had been a warrior. But when it came to Linney Kingston, he was just a red-blooded Texas cowboy with bad luck at love. Linney had walked out on him six years ago. Now she was back--with a motherless child and a crazy story.

Linney's theory of murder and scandal was as preposterous as her body's traitorous response to Cutter. Still, when she was shot at, the cowboy came to her rescue. Cutter--her hero. And the only man who could break her heart again. Trusting him a second time was more frightening than the killers stalking her every move....

Tosca's note: OH. EMM. GEE. An ex-SEAL turned cowboy? FTW!! Also, I'm slightly juvenile, and the first thing I thought of when reading the title was, 'Huh! A cowboy going commando. That must be uncomfortable.' This book is at #2 simply for the giggles the title provided ;)

Invasion of the prostate snatchers: No more unnecessary biopsies, radical treatment or loss of sexual potency / Ralph H. Blum & Mark Scholz, MD
Every year almost a quarter of a million confused and frightened American men are tossed into a prostate cancer cauldron stirred by salespeople representing a multibillion-dollar industry. In this flourishing business, the radical prostatectomy is still the most widely recommended treatment option. Yet a recent and definitive study in the New England Journal of Medicine concluded that out of the fifty thousand prostate operations performed annually, more than forty thousand are unjustified. But this is no surprise given that 99 percent of all doctors treating this disease are surgeons or radiation therapists. The appalling fact is that men are still being rushed into a major operation that rarely prolongs life and more than half the time leaves them impotent.

Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers is a report on the latest thinking in prostate cancer therapy: close monitoring–active surveillance rather than surgery or radiation–should be the initial treatment approach for many men. There are three stages of prostate cancer and this book will provide accurate information about how to distinguish between them: Low-Risk, which requires no immediate treatment; Intermediate-Risk, which will benefit from surgery, radiation, and/or hormonal therapy; and High-Risk, a type that does require immediate treatment with a combination of therapies. In a unique collaboration, doctor and patient provide a wholly new perspective on managing this disease. Ralph Blum’s account of his personal struggle, together with Dr.Mark Scholz’s presentation of newscientific advances, provides convincing evidence that this noninvasive approach can be crucial in preventing tens of thousands of men from being overtreated every year. Invasion of the Prostate Snatchers serves as an indispensable map through the medical minefield of prostate cancer.

Tosca's note: The title took me aback and made me think, 'WTF?' Certainly the word 'prostate' coupled with the image of two fists (am assuming is doctor/patient) bumping made me wince. Although what would be a great image to have for such a topic (prostate cancer) I don't know. Read a few online reviews all from prostate cancer survivor points of view that tell me one thing: this book presents a unique doctor/patient point of view, it provides a very frank look at a subject that can be quite confusing and scary and the chapter titles will make you smile. A quick browse proved they were right - I did smile. Although when I did I felt slightly guilty for doing so and felt like I should apologise to someone, somewhere. It's the gravity of the topic that gives me the guilts. In fact, I still feel guilty now, 12 hours later.

1 comment:

Marilyn Shoemaker said...

Finding Perfect by Susan Mallery a brilliant ook!