Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Top 5 titles I wanna, gotta, needa read/hear this month

List by Tosca

"I used to walk to school with my nose buried in a book."
- Coolio

I was one of those kids that walked to school with my nose buried in a book. I still do it now only these days I'm more likely to find myself buried in an ebook while walking to the bus stop. I did try paper books but what I read now is a heck of a lot bigger than what I read as a child and awfully hard to juggle while trying to walk at the same time. One thing that hasn't changed, though, is that crossing the road while reading is still a slight challenge :) Every month I have a haphazard reading list of some 20 plus titles I feel like I wanna, gotta, needa read/see/hear so the real challenge was narrowing down my top 5. Et voilà, after much heated discussion and argument (all with myself, I might add) here they are.



Do you have a top 5 list like this one? If so, feel free to leave it as a comment, along with your name, and we'll upload it as your very own Top 5 list :)

This body of death / Elizabeth George
"While DI Thomas Lynley is still on compassionate leave after the murder of his wife, Isabelle Ardery is brought into the Met as his temporary replacement. The discovery of a body in a Stoke Newington cemetery offers Isabelle the chance to make her mark with a high profile murder investigation. Persuading Lynley back to work seems the best way to guarantee a result: Lynley's team is fiercely loyal to him and Isabelle needs them - and especially Barbara Havers - on side. The Met is twitchy: a series of PR disasters has undermined its confidence. Isabelle knows that she'll be operating under the unforgiving scrutiny of the media, so is quick – perhaps too quick – to pin the murder on a convenient suspect. The murder trail leads Lynley and Havers to the New Forest, and the eventual resolution of the case. Its roots are in a long-ago act of violence that has poisoned subsequent generations and its outcome is both tragic and shocking." -- Publisher description.

Tosca's note: Literary crush on DI Thomas Lynley right from the very first George book I ever read back in the early-mid '90s. Bawled my eyes out when Lynley's wife was murdered so I'm not quite at the point where I can read this one just yet. I'm working up to it.

Michael Bublé meets Madison Square Garden [CD/DVD] / Michael Bublé
Following his first #1 Pop album and his third platinum-plus disc, 2007's Grammy® winning Call Me Irresponsible, singing sensation Michael Bublé returns to the stage with the live CD+DVD package Michael Bublé Meets Madison Square Garden. Featuring powerful performances of his hits 'Everything,' 'Home' and 'Feeling Good,' he brings the December 5, 2008 concert at one of the most famous venues in entertainment history home to fans with Michael Bublé Meets Madison Square Garden. Rated PG - parental guidance recommended for younger viewers. NOTE: Contains coarse language.

Tosca's note: What? Contains coarse language? Are you telling me that Bublé swears?? I've got to listen to this just for that alone!

Batista unleashed / Dave Batista with Jeremy Roberts
A world heavyweight champion describes his crime-marked youth, his efforts to break into professional wrestling in spite of formidable obstacles, and the injuries that nearly cost him his career.

Tosca's note: I love to watch Batista in the wrestling ring. He's brutal, hardworking, focused & uncompromising so I'm hoping the book will be in the same vein. I'm a wrestling fan from the 80s (think Hulk Hogan, Macho Man Randy Savage etc.) and still follow it today. So much so that when RAW and Smackdown visit New Zealand my nephews and I go along to watch - we cheer and boo with the best of 'em. Unfortunately, I've not yet seen Batista wrestle live, although I did get a kick out of watching Triple H and Orton last year ;)

Sh*t my dad says / Justin Halpern
Tuesdays with Morrie meets F My Life in this hilarious coming-of-age book about a son's relationship with his foul-mouthed father by the 29-year-old comedy writer who created the massively popular Twitter feed of the same name.

Tosca's note: I follow Halpern's tweetstream and it's obscene how hilarious I find this guy - I swear I laugh until I almost cry. Guess what? I snort, too ;) And I'm 100% certain that the book will be knee-slappingly awesome. I read online that it's going to be turned in to a tv series with Shatner playing Halpern's dad. I heart Shatner! He's 7 kinds of funny as Denny Crane. Word of warning: don't read the book or follow the tweetstream if you object to swearing.

Play to kill / P. J. Tracy
With the help of local law enforcement and the FBI, the Monkeewrench crew tracks a serial killer using savvy computer technology.

Tosca's note: Mother/daughter writing duo P.J. & Traci Lambrecht are a guaranteed great thriller read. I hang out for their books every year like an addict. It's actually quite disturbing how much I enjoy their work and I'm really looking forward to this newest release. I also have a literary crush on Detective Leo Magozzi.

No comments: