Friday, July 16, 2010

Top 5 songs that make me wish I was reading fantasy right now

aka 'Top 5 songs that make me wish I was reading a fantasy novel right now instead of working on a rainy Friday'

List by Danielle

And you know you're never sure
But you're sure you could be right
If you held yourself up to the light
And the embers never fade in your city by the lake
The place where you were born

~ Smashing Pumpkins, 'Tonight'

For all those who get transported by music to some fictional land...love to hear your comments. Does listening to techno send you diving for the crime novels? Do you accompany your historicals with a classical soundtrack? What songs send you somewhere you'd rather be?

Fantasy novels: they carry you away somewhere beyond your desk, your keyboard, the grey weather you can't quite see from the window-that's-too-high-to-see-through (though you can hear the cars swishing by through the puddles in the carpark). In fantasy novels - the ones that aren't necessarily about epic battles or torturer-heroes or what life would *really* have been like for womanfolk in a feudal society (not that I'm dissing those, that's just not what I'm dreaming of this rainy Friday) - there is colour, travel, drama and high adventure and just the right amount of shocking peril. Hmm, this list is bringing out the inner Edwardian. Oh well. Here's the list: I was listening to Paramore and got to dreaming about other worlds...

Hyperballad by Bjork (Triple J Hottest 100, 4)
'There's a beautiful view/From the top of the mountain/Every morning I walk towards the edge/And throw little things off'
Like a few others I wanted to sneak onto the list (Electrical storm by U2, Karmacoma by Massive Attack), this kind of makes the list on account of the music video, which had a crazy/glittery/magical feel to it, if you remember it - not because the lyrics are particularly fantastical.

Building a mystery by Sarah McLachlan (Closer: the best of Sarah McLachlan)
'you come out at night/that's when the energy comes/and the dark side's light/and the vampires roam'
Shout-out to my paranormal peeps :)

Desert rose by Sting (feat. Cheb Mami) (The very best of Sting & the Police)
'I dream of fire/Those dreams are tied to a horse that will never tire/And in the flames/Her shadows play in the shape of a man's desire'

Tonight by Smashing Pumpkins (Rotten apples: the Smashing Pumpkins greatest hits)
'And the embers never fade in your city by the lake/The place where you were born/Believe, believe in me, believe'

Brick by boring brick by Paramore (Brand new eyes)
'Well go get your shovel/And we'll dig a deep hole/To bury the castle'
Actually kind of an *anti* fantasy song when you look at the lyrics, but this song did start me down this path, and the album also has the wonderful 'Decode' on it - I'm not the biggest Twilight fan but every time I hear this song it takes me out to the woods, whirling around in the green...

No comments: