Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Top 5 Orlando Bloom dvds I love to watch on mute

List by Tosca

"I'm always amazed at anyone's interest in what I have to say."
- Orlando Bloom

My name is Tosca and I have a tendre for Orlando Bloom :) I adore watching him - moving, talking, sitting still, sleeping, good movie, bad movie. It doesn't really matter, so long as he's breathing. Yes, that's right, I'm shallow. Sue me! It is a little bit strange because, up until I saw him as the very striking Legolas I'd never really noticed him before that. I think it must've been the white hair and pointy ears ;) Since then, I've made a point of watching all of his movies...mostly on mute because it allows me to concentrate on watching him without being distracted by words. I know - terribly, terribly shallow! I'm also incredibly opinionated, which most of you will know by now if you follow this blog anyway, but I feel like I should point that out so you're not too taken aback reading my comments. So here's my list of Top 5 Orlando Bloom movies I love to watch on mute (although he's just as good talking, too).



Do you have another movie title you would have added to the list? If so, simply leave it as a comment :)

Honourable mention:
Troy - we used to hold this title but no more :( Bloom as Paris? *sigh* Speaking of which, it was on when I got home from quiz night last night. Boy, howdy! And if you're not a fan of Bloom, well, what redblooded woman does not like to look at Brad Pitt naked? If you raise your hand you are LYING to yourself ;)

The calcium kid / starring Orlando Bloom, Omid Djalili, Michael Lerner
Jimmy's a milkman, and he loves it. But when one day, at his local gym, he accidentally puts Britain's contender for the boxing world title out of action, he is propelled from amateur boxer onto the world stage and set to fight against the current world champion.

Tosca's note: A funny little film that I did not think I would like - hello, a milkman cum boxer, wtf? - that actually turned out to be quite good. In fact, I'm sitting here thinking, 'Yeah, totally surprised me.' Bloom does naive quite well. I'm not sure exactly why I liked it but it worked for me and I'd definitely watch it again.

Elizabethtown / starring Orlando Bloom & Kirsten Dunst
Bloom's character: Drew Baylor

Drew Baylor is a designer whose life becomes completely unraveled on one fateful day. After causing the Oregon shoe company he works for to lose hundreds of millions of dollars, he is fired, and promptly dumped by his girlfriend, Ellen. On the verge of suicide, Drew is given a new purpose in life. After the death of his father, Drew has to fly to his family hometown of Elizabeth, Kentucky to ensure his father's dying wishes are fulfilled. En route to Elizabethtown Drew meets Claire, a stewardess, with whom he falls in love. Their romance helps Drew get his life back on track.

Tosca's note: Critics didn't like this film but my opinion always runs opposite so *blows raspberry* It was quirky and I heart quirky! Although most decidedly NOT a fan of Dunst. In fact, that would be my one complaint. I'm also predisposed to liking this film because he visits Kentucky - which I've always wanted to do if only to see their Bluegrass Festival.

Lord of the rings: the fellowship of the ring / starring Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Viggo Mortensen, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom
Bloom's character: Legolas Greenleaf

In ancient times the Rings of Power were crafted by the Elven-smiths, and Sauron, the Dark Lord, forged the One Ring, filling it with his own power so that he could rule all others. But the One Ring was taken from him, and though he sought it throughout Middle-Earth still it remained lost to him. After many ages it fell, by chance, into the hands of the Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins. On his eleventy-first birthday, Bilbo disappeared, bequeathing to his young cousin, Frodo, the Ruling Ring, and a perilous quest: to journey across Middle-Earth, deep into the shadow of the Dark Lord and destroy the Ring by casting it into the Cracks of Doom

Tosca's note: I'm not a Tolkien fan for one very good reason - my mother made me read his books. Which was weird because she didn't often put her foot down that way so I was already determined to detest them. And detest them I did. I found them clunky, too wordy and boring *snores* Everyone I meet always gasps in shock and outrage when I make that statement so I've given up apologising for it. One thing I think the movie did really well was give Boromir more substance in the film than he ever had in the book. Another thing they excelled at was making Bloom's character, Legolas, so gosh darn striking to look at. And those action scenes - wow ;) He made me want to take up archery and I couldn't hit a target painted on the broadside of a barn even if I were standing right in front of it!

Pirates of the Caribbean: at world's end / starring Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightley, Geoffrey Rush, Bill Nighy, Chow Yun-Fat
Bloom's character: Will Turner

After Elizabeth, Will, and Captain Barbossa rescue Captain Jack Sparrow, who is trapped in Davy Jones' Locker, they must face their foes. Lord Cutler Beckett, now has control of Jones' heart and forms a dark alliance with him in order to rule the seas and wipe out the last of the Pirates. Jack, Barbossa, Will, Elizabeth, and crew must call the Pirate Lords from the four corners of the globe, including the infamous Sao Feng, together. The Pirate Lords want to release the goddess Calypso, Davy Jones's damned lover, from the trap they sent her. The Pirate Lords must combine the 9 pieces that bound her by ritual to undo it and release her in hopes that she will help them fight. All pirates will stand together and make their final stand for freedom against Beckett, Jones, Norrington, the Flying Dutchman, and the entire East India Trading Company.

Tosca's note: Once again another movie the critics didn't like and one I absolutely enjoyed. I was in tears by the end of the film and, when I saw the direction the ending was going in I remember thinking, 'Of course! What else could they have done with Will?' It was a logical ending (to me, anyway). Oohh *cue tear*

Kingdom of heaven / starring Orlando Bloom, Liam Neeson, Jeremy Irons, Eva Green
Bloom's character: Balian de Ibelin

Orlando Bloom stars as Balian, a young Frenchman in Medieval Jerusalem during the Crusades, who, having lost everything, finds redemption in a heroic fight against overwhelming forces to save his people and fulfill his destiny as a knight.

Tosca's note: I am fated to enjoy movies that critics don't think much of *blows raspberry*. That synopsis above? Sucks. Majorly. It sounds like so much bunkum because it doesn't even begin to capture the action or the adventure or even the history of the film and the era it portrays. Yes, it's violent and has battle scenes galore but hello, there was a war taking place, for crying out loud. What do you want - fluffy bunnies? There are some visually stunning scenes in this film. And for those who would compare it to Scott's Gladiator - get outta here! Bloom isn't Russell Crowe so stop comparing the two and, if you really want Crowe, go watch a Crowe film and leave me alone with Bloom.

No comments: