Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Top 5 raciest romance reads to float across my desk this week

List by Tosca

"Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day."
- from a list of funny 'Love' quotes by kids

Caution: reading these books may cause extreme blushing. You have been warned!

Ok, so the post opens with a love quote about a dog licking your face so it can only get better right? I mean, I'm not about to list books that involve dodgy and illegal acts with animals because EWW. So you can relax, now. What I am going to list, though, are the 5 best (or worst, depending on your point of view) of the raciest romance reads to cross my desk all week. And geez do I see heaps (and call it 'research' - all in the name of work). The reason for the dog/love quote is because 3 of the titles listed below feature shape shifters as the heroes. In fact, they're all lions. Kings of the jungle. Rowwwrrrrr! And I couldn't find a cat/love quote, so there.



I'd like to tell you that I had some scientific way of measuring the raciness but nope, I'm not that clever. My 'blush' factor is my mum, which sounds really weird and horribly inappropriate, but I think to myself, 'Would I feel comfortable recommending this to my mum? HECK NO!' So there you go...5 books I won't let my mum read (like I have a say, sheesh) :)

(Dis?)Honourable mention:
Sliding into home by Joanne Rock

Born to be wild / Christine Warren
Josephine Berry is a human who is forced to team up with Elijah Pace, a shape shifter, to discover how it's possible that the residents of their small town seem to be contracting lycanthropy from bites and scratches obtained during mysterious attacks.

Tosca's note: Shifter books (and paranormal books in general) tend to be more...trying to think of a polite word - sensual, so to speak. I mean, think about it, animalistic passions, ruled by your baser instincts etc. Warren's 'Born to be wild' is not as racy as, say, 'One bite with a stranger' (one of her earlier titles) but this list covers only what I've read this week.

A kiss to kill / Nina Bruhns
"Eight months ago, Dr. Gina Cappozi and CIA black ops commando Captain Gregg van Halen were lovers...until Gregg committed the ultimate betrayal. Left in the hands of terrorists, Gina vowed to kill the man she once loved. She knows that he lives in a shadow world of violence and darkness. She knows that he's watching her every move. What she doesn't know is that Gregg isn't the only one following her--or that he still cherishes her. When her need for revenge leads Gina back into Gregg's bed, she rediscovers another irresistible need. Now, with the threat of enemies at every turn, Gina and Gregg realize that the power of betrayal and revenge is nothing compared to the power of love."--P. [4] of cover.

Tosca's note: Gregg and Gina's relationship had a very raunchy start in an earlier novel in this series which took me by surprise because I felt it overshadowed the main characters. It seemed as if they out kama sutra'd the main characters. Or maybe I read it wrong - although, you know, even without glasses I'm pretty sure I didn't.

Lion's heat / Lora Leigh
"The mating urge cannot be ignored... Bad boy Jonas Wyatt knows it is fate that Rachel becomes his mate. He can sense it. He can also sense her reluctance. But she has little power over the mating heat of the Breeds. It is Jonas's destiny to claim her. And nothing will stop him from having his way.

Tosca's note: Lora Leigh's books are guaranteed eyebrow raisers and this title is no exception. I think, though, that readers of this series would have expected this particular one to be racier than usual because of who the main character is, although it in no way outdoes the book that slides in at #2.

Nauti deceptions / Lora Leigh
"Caitlyn 'Rogue' Walker left her life in Boston to become a teacher in a small Kentucky town. But her dream was shattered when she was framed in a sex scandal. Refusing to be run out of town, Caitlyn shed the identity she had and went Rogue. Sheriff Zeke Mayes knows there's more to her than meets the eye, though what meets the eye is pretty smoking. He's prepared for a long struggle getting Rogue to drop her defenses - and give in to desire. But soon Zeke will become embroiled in a deadly game that sweeps Rogue up in its wake. And when everything seems to be a matter of life and death, there is no reason to hold back..."--Publisher's description.

Tosca's note: The Nauti boys (don't laugh at me!) live up to their name. Totally. And I always feel a bit shamefaced reading books with such blatant covers (total Team Chest eye candy). Just - whoa - that's all I can say. Whoa. The little girl inside me would either burst into giggles or die of mortification if my mum read this book.

The mane event / Shelly Laurenston
Christmas pride: Mace Llewellyn is out of the navy and hungry. He returns to his old hunting grounds to find the woman who won over his heart a decade ago. She's turned into a sexy siren with a refined edge that makes him want to drag her back to his lair. But the lady of his dreams is playing hard to get. Dez MacDermot has finally achieved her life goal. As a detective, she has her pick of cases, and her current one could make or break her career. When one of the Brooklyn pride is murdered, all leads point to Missy Llewellyn. Dez is ready to put her childhood antagonist in a cage she can't escape when she gets an eyeful of a grownup, sexier-than-satin-sheets Mace.

Tosca's note: The heroines are rough, tough and can kick the hero's butt :) YAY! The men are pushy, possessive and aggressive. BOO! So why does behaviour that I would abhor in real life work in books? Who knows! But I forgive Laurenston for it because the heroines are rude, crude and hilariously funny. Seriously, though, these are not 'nice' stories. If you're easily offended by swearing, violence and (here's that polite word again) 'sensuality' then choose a nice bonnet ripper instead ;)

No comments: