Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Top 5 NZ albums and artists

List by Rachael

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. But musicians paint their pictures on silence."
- Leopold Stokowski

This 'Top 5 NZ albums and artists' list was sent to us by Rachael, who writes: I don’t really listen to music without analysing it, I can’t help it, I like music better when a lot is happening. Adeaze and Katchafire top my NZ music list, both have a lot of vocals and hamonies, they keep my listening ear trained by giving me the chance to find every voice/harmony and sing it. Katchafire also has a great range of percussion instruments, I try to hear and listen to every instrument from the voices down to the cabasa. Fly My Pretties is very Kiwi, great to really listen to, lots of different instrument and voice combinations. Hollie Smith and Fat Freddy’s are good for chillaxing with.

So...kick back and enjoy Rachael's NZ Music Month list :)



Say what you're thinking [compact disc] / Katchafire
Compact disc. Lyrics included in pamphlet. Katchafire.

Tracklist: Say what you're thinking -- Now girl -- Doesn't anybody -- Mr Flava -- I dubb -- This world -- Hold on -- Love letter -- Ultra music -- Meant to be -- Pain -- Working.

Always and for real [compact disc] / Adeaze
R&B music written and performed by the group. Group members: Nainz Tupa'i and Viiz Tupa'i.

Tracklist: Always & for real -- Memory lane -- Change your ways -- A life with you -- Getting stronger (feat. Aaradhna) -- How deep is your love -- Interlude -- Dear babe -- E paia -- Love is true -- Tears in heaven -- Never gonna let you die -- The lord is my light.

Fly My Pretties: live at Bats [compact disc] / Fly My Pretties
Fly my pretties are: Barnaby Weir, Toby Laing, Mike Fabulous, Darryn Sigley, Samuel Flynn Scott, Age Pryor, Tessa Rain, Brendan Moran, Nato, Daniel Weetman. Compact disc. Recording in August 2004 of "a musical collaboration performed, filmed and recorded over four nights at Bats Theatre in Wellington"--Container insert.

Concept, and all songs written by Barnaby Weir except Singing in my soul / Age Pryor & Hamish Guerrini, and Quiet girl / Samuel Flynn Scott.

Tracklist: Family tree -- Bag of money -- Lucky -- All the goodness -- Singing in my soul -- Let's roll -- Quiet girl -- Champion -- Turn it around -- Fly my pretties -- We can make a life.

Long player [compact disc] / Hollie Smith
Lyrics included in pamphlet. Compact disc. Written and performed by Hollie Smith with acc. musicians.

Tracklist: Can't let you down -- I will do -- Philosophy -- So long -- Provider -- Reprise -- Own it (feat. Captain Imon Starr) -- What I say -- Come for me here -- Be whole in thee.

Based on a true story [compact disc] / Fat Freddy's Drop
1 sound disc (70 min.) : digital, stereo. ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet ([16] p.)

Tracklist: Ernie -- Cay's crays -- This room -- Ray ray -- Dark days -- Flashback -- Roady -- Wandering eye -- Del fuego -- Hope.

No comments: