Thursday, May 6, 2010

My top 5 80s movies

List by Tosca (Digital Services, Manukau Libraries)

"You see us as you want to see us. In the simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. But what we found out is that each one of us is a brain, and an athlete, and a basket case, a princess and a criminal."
- The Breakfast Club (monologue delivered by Brian, as played by Anthony Michael Hall), 1985

Oh, the 80s! Who could forget them? Banana clips, tube socks, fluoro colours, the Rubiks cube, leg warmers, side ponytails, bubble skirts, perms, Bon Jovi, jump rope, Bros, elastics, ripped jeans...and some truly classic movies that epitomised the decade.

Below is my top 5 list of movies that, for me, capture the 80s in all their glorious badness, colour, life, energy and rebelliousness.



16 Candles / Starring Molly Ringwald
It's Samantha Baker's sweet sixteen and no one in her family remembers the important occasion. But wait-- the day isn't over yet!

This is my favourite Molly Ringwald movie - it's silly, lighthearted and totally inappropriate for young children to watch (I watched it when I probably shouldn't have).

The Breakfast Club / Starring Anthony Michael Hall, Emilio Estevez, Molly Ringwald
Five teenagers, with nothing in common and faced with spending a Saturday detention together, have, by the end of detention, become good friends.

I was a bit of a dork in school, one of those 'colour in the lines' kids who never put a foot wrong. The only time I had detention was if it were a class detention assigned by a teacher who'd had enough of some of us and punished the the whole group. Oohh, good times (not). When this movie came out it was light years from anything I had ever experienced but I enjoyed the way they came together and told the teacher where to get off.

Ferris Bueller's Day Off / Starring Matthew Broderick
A chronicle of the events in the day of a rather magical 17-year-old who has an overwhelming urge to cut school one spring day and head for downtown Chicago with his girl and best friend to see the sights and experience a day of freedom.

While I didn't quite want to be Ferris, I most certainly wanted his cunning and skill - to get away with what he did, and on such a huge scale, he was my idol.

Home Alone 1 / Starring Macaulay Culkin
Inadvertently left at home by his forgetful family, off on a Christmas trip to Paris, young Kevin McCallister needs all his ingenuity to fend off two burglars who break into his house. Illustrated with stills from the movie.

My parents left my younger sister in a shopping trolley once because each thought the other had her and this always reminds me of that (I'm struggling not to burst out laughing as I type this). I'd like to point out that it was for a few minutes only and she's fine, not in need of a therapist at all, thank you very much. Can't say as my mother ever forgot it, though. She still cringes.

Stand by Me / Starring River Phoenix, Wil Wheaton
In a small Oregon town, four young friends set out on the adventure of a lifetime, on a two-day trek that becomes a journey of self-discovery and coming of age.

I must have been a bit morbid at the time because the idea of a group of us setting off to find a dead body - awesome! Truly awesome.

Runners up:

No comments: